Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 37
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2863 times and has 36 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Clean Energy Project - Is it worth it?

Thank you, Dataman :)
Hopefully the full dataset will be downloadable from the CEP website once the project is completed.
[May 21, 2012 9:14:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I cannot even begin to imagine the size of said data set.

Wow.
[May 21, 2012 9:20:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Yes, releasing all the data generated on the WCG is part of the deal - and frankly the whole point of the project. After all - we are theoreticians and need experimentalist collaborators to really make use of all that data. There will be multiple ways in which we make the data available. One is our own database called CEPDB on which we are working with high pressure these days. The other way is via a collaboration with Wolfram Alpha. You can read all about this in the recent announcement of the White House Materials Genome Initiative.
About the data volume: we are currently at about 200TB of raw data and we are working on making this accessible in a practical fashion.
Best wishes
Your Harvard CEP team
[May 22, 2012 3:46:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thank you for your answer. This project is catching my interest, I will keep crunching.
I already registered 2 weeks of CPU time in 4 days on two high-end i7/12GB RAM and an older Core2Duo laptop, I have set them up according to your recommendations and only let them work on CEP. They will run 24/7.

By the way, did the CEP (either phase 1 or 2) lead to any advance or progress in organic solar cells so far?
I don't necessarily mean in finding better molecules yet, but maybe a new perspective, a better hint of where to search, a glimpse of a radically new approach to lowering costs or improving energy efficiency, etc. anything tangible and directly related to the advance of solar cells thanks of CEP.

It seems that most updates on your websites are related to the project's distributed architecture and its IT backend.

Last thing, you may have heard of this company: http://www.heliatek.com/?lang=en
They set a new efficiency record for organic solar cells, breaking 10%.
If you're looking for experimentalist collaborators, maybe they would be glad to help.

Thanks in advance for your answer! smile
[May 22, 2012 4:27:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi Theor,
thanks for crunching CEP2! We hope you'll stay on for a while.
You are right - most of the work so far has been about developing and implementing the framework and infrastructure of this automated, high-throughput project. This has actually been quite a challenge, as you perhaps can imagine. This work is described in the JPCL paper you can find on our webpage. But we also made some more concrete contributions about which you can read in the Nature Commun. and Nature papers that Sule has (co-)authored. These papers show the results from small-scale proof-of-principle studies which we have been adapting to a massive scale in CEP2. If you are interested in more conceptual directions you should check out our E&ES paper which uses cheminformatics models as well as ideas from pattern recognition and machine learning to approach those questions.
Yes, we know of Heliatek and all the other OPV companies (it's still a small field after all). We are not (yet) collaborating with them at this point but with a number of other players in academia and industry. We are always open for new partnerships, though. BTW: The current record is held by Mitsubishi Chemicals with 10.1% PCE.
Best wishes from
Your Harvard CEP team
[May 23, 2012 3:20:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks for your answer!

I really hope this project will be successful and lead to cheaper, more efficient organic solar cells. From the papers, it seems like reaching a 15% efficiency is feasible, which would already be a tremendous improvement.
I'll be watching your updates with interest.
[May 24, 2012 12:10:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Yes, we certainly hope so, too ;). Thanks for crunching and supporting CEP2!
Best wishes from
Your Harvard CEP team
[May 24, 2012 2:20:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread