Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 88
Posts: 88   Pages: 9   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 411996 times and has 87 replies Next Thread
Somervillejudson@netscape.net
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Lead time for GPU beta

Yes it would! What make using GPU's so difficult?
[Mar 13, 2012 2:26:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dark Angel
Veteran Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

GPUs are only capable of a subset of what a General Purpose Processor (that's a CPU) is, so coding for them requires reducing the problem at hand to a more restricted set of operations and memory limits than with a CPU based application. GPUs are also massively parallel by nature so they require a different set of programming skills and tools to get the most out of them compared to typical CPU programming. There are more "drop in" libraries becoming available to developers as time goes on that allow GPU functions to be inserted into regular C code without requiring special skills, but where it doesn't matter a great deal if a drill head is a meter or so off target because of a rounding error, biomedical work has no such tolerances for error. Medicine and poison are often only a question of dose.
----------------------------------------

Currently being moderated under false pretences
[Mar 13, 2012 10:11:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

The vacuum cleaners with 3GB DDDR5 on-card RAM, 2000 shaders and 200000 GFLOPS are anyhow capable enough to not need much testing

Often such cards give the most trouble; stemming from immature drivers. Issues can be especially rife with multiple cards. Typically apps have to be modified to work well with the latest generation of card. Such app modifications usually result in a performance loss on older cards. So there is a choice between getting good performance for one card generation against another; if HD7900's perform well, it's at some expense for previous generations. The alternative, multiple apps, could be bad for the science and would certainly be more work for the techs. You just can't keep everyone happy.
I wouldn't expect the amount of GDDR to make much difference, most apps don't use all the available GDDR.
[Mar 13, 2012 12:46:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Forgot the tongue in cheek smiley... the established, middle of the road cards with longer supported drivers. Same as in a business, the cows ensure continuity, and the stars [can] put the icing on, the dogs you'd like to loose and the question marks need lots more work before they contribute, in some uncertain future.
--//--
[Mar 13, 2012 2:37:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[Mar 13, 2012 2:38:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

So? If I understand Kevin's post, I have to run HCC non-Beta CPU wu's in order to get GPU beta wu's? sad

[Mar 13, 2012 3:13:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ashrader330
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

It is a disappointment that the first GPU beta test is going to be Windows only. Looks like my 3 cards will be sitting on the sidelines for a while. I only run Linux on my machine for work reasons.

Run time: 4.2y HPF2, 6.9y FAAH, 7.9y HFCC, 20.8y HCC, 26.0y CEP2, 26.0y MCM, 2.1y UGM, 2.0y OET
WU: 4.8k HPF2, 12.3k FAAH, 12.4k HFCC, 135k HCC, 34.3k CEP2, 43.8k MCM, 4.2k UGM, 19.7k OET
[Mar 13, 2012 3:18:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Piccolo Passi.

--//--
[Mar 13, 2012 3:24:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
homeslice
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

It would be nice to be able to control which projects get run on CPU and GPU separately...

[Mar 13, 2012 3:29:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

sad I followed the procedure in Kevin's post and for my sins I received ~150 HCC CPU wu's that I will be aborting in the next few minutes and, of course, no GPU work. That is only for 7 cards on 4 machines. If I start the other 7 cards, I would lierally get ~300 wu's (cashe = 0.01 days) that I don't want for 80 CPU cores. If this is the case, I cannot participate in this Beta.

[Mar 13, 2012 3:37:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 88   Pages: 9   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread