Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 588 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Tasks on one machine, but not the other

On one of my machines, I received my last task for CEP2 on 08/01, returned on 08/03. However, in the interim, I have received three and returned two tasks on my other PC, with one actively running. The profiles on each machine have this project checked. Any idea why one would continue to receive tasks from CEP2 and the other would not? I continue to receive work on both machines from another project.

Thanks!
[Aug 7, 2012 2:56:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Tasks on one machine, but not the other

Hello MarkHNC,
Sounds unusual to me. Perhaps the server had temporarily run out of CEP2 in the buffer. If you don't get one by Wednesday, better post the first page of your Messages tab so we can see what kind of system you have. You might want to look at the Results Status page in My Grid.

Lawrence
[Aug 7, 2012 3:43:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The following message is appearing on the PC that is not receiving CEP2 work units:

Message from server: The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 requires 63.48 KB/sec download bandwidth. Your computer has been measured at 13.42 KB/sec.

My local LAN is gigabit, and my connection to the internet is 15 megabit. Bear in mind that the PC that IS receiving CEP2 work units is connected to the same switch and router as the one that is not. They use identical NIC settings and cabling. A test just a moment ago via SpeakEasy indicates I'm getting over 12 megabit actual download throughput to the PC that BOINC says is getting only 13.42 KB/sec bandwidth. No other app on this PC downloads at that extremely slow speed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
[Aug 8, 2012 4:56:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

A quick search on the forums will give you the answer.

For example, this thread
[Aug 8, 2012 5:46:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The PC in question in question is the one on which I also often watch HD video from Netflix. I suppose if the bandwidth was mostly consumed by HD video, then transfers might have been slowed for BOINC? I also recently added Computing for Sustainable Water in place of the paused Computing for Clean Water. CFWS seems to download very small files. Either way, I did the workaround, and set CEP2 to download 2 work units at the time, and I got them.

Thanks for the pointer.
[Aug 8, 2012 10:27:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Glad that this resolved itself.
Best wishes from
Your Harvard CEP team
[Aug 8, 2012 5:15:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread