Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 22
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1549 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: problem with computing

Hello carlosomarcp,
Each CEP2 work unit has 16 stages. So there are 15 potential check points. However, a stage may take many hours. After 12 hours, if all 16 stages are not complete, the work unit stops and returns all the completed stages. 4 or more stages are useful information that help. A check point can only be made at the end of a stage. If you look at Statistics - By Project - CEP2, you will see that many members do not run CEP2 because of this need for non-stop computing. This is a well known problem that the CEP Project Scientists regret. They do not want to drive members away, but the project is computationally tough.

sad
Lawrence
[Oct 21, 2012 2:54:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rbotterb
Senior Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: problem with computing

I happened to have a long running day yesterday, so I fired up two CEP 2 WUs in the morning and by evening (about 12 hours later as others mentioned), both CEP WUs finished up completed. So I will be able to get a few in from time to time, just only on the days when I can go 12+ hours non-stop.

Now if the CEP scientists would ever consider dropping this 12+ requirement to say 1/2 that, I would imagine a number of us could get many more CEP2 WUs done on a regular basis - I know I would then be able to run the 5 to 6 days per week successfully. But the 12 hour requirement is a much steeper mountain to climb. At best I would be able to run maybe 1 day a week at most with this much longer requirement.
[Oct 21, 2012 4:04:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread