Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 509 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Members running Window 8 or Max OS X Mountain Lion 10.8

We will be updating to the 7.0 client on all platforms later this year as the 6.10 version of the client does not install properly on Windows 8 or Mac 10.8.
Bummer of the day. I couldn't think of a better way to compare performance of Windows 8 versus Windows 7 and lower than a whole bunch of people running CEP2 using the same BOINC client on the various versions. But...have to wait.

Will still happen, of course, under BOINC 7+ client - but months down the road. Hope the testing stays on schedule, because (besides the fact that I am allergic to "Hurry up and wait." as a consequence of military service) if testing Win8 with BOINC 7+ client shows equal or superior performance and thus makes the effort worthwhile the deep discounts for upgrading end on January 31st, 2013 .
[Sep 5, 2012 8:05:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

There was like a lot of pass-up comment on W8 [train wreck, catastrophe and the like], but I've seen some tests suggesting serious performance improvements on parts of it's multi-tasking management, as well as that the classic interface can be switched on [dislike that cube box, for non-touchscreen operations]. CEP2 will indeed be the acid test, when W7 does for me a 99+% efficiency on both laptop and quad [if left alone].
[Sep 5, 2012 8:45:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

P.S. This slipped the previous post inclusion: http://www.pcworld.com/article/252383/windows...st_performance_tests.html

edit: And to underscore the unsaid, don't think BOINC agent makes diddly difference on efficiency. It's the science app doing the work. How much marginal to 99+% to W7 is of interest? The bit what is, is when using the device, when particular under Linux the efficiency degrades heavily. CEP2 I only let run at night for that reason.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 5, 2012 9:03:38 AM]
[Sep 5, 2012 9:00:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Yarensc
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

When I did the upgrade from 7 to 8 I kept the same BOINC client and everythings running about the same. my FX8120 bench marked at about 1400 whetstone and 6100 Dhrystone.
[Sep 5, 2012 4:11:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Well, we hope this sorts itself out soon - we really don't have much influence on the underlying infrastructure. But it should really just be a matter of time till all version upgrades are in sync.
Best wishes
Your Harvard CEP team
[Sep 5, 2012 5:43:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

When I did the upgrade from 7 to 8 I kept the same BOINC client and everythings running about the same. my FX8120 bench marked at about 1400 whetstone and 6100 Dhrystone.
You did an O/S upgrade of a Win(x) box that was running the 6.10 client to Win8?

Sounds like its just the installer that's got issues, then.
[Sep 6, 2012 8:48:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Correct. It's the restricted rights BOINC accounts [there are 2... boinc_project and boinc_master] and permission settings that cause the fall over. If they already exist before the upgrade, these accounts and permissions are inherited.

For one, don't know what others do, but I start installers from explorer, right click and select "run as administrator". Been doing that since Vista. Don't know if that makes a difference for the 6.10 installer on W8.
[Sep 6, 2012 9:47:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread