Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 441 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
genhos
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Unit "return time" question

Couldn't think how to word the topic for this question! So here goes -

E210716_ 789_ C.32.C27H13NOS2Se.01100764.0.set1d06_ 0--
Unit sent out 03/12/12 @ 20:12:24 but errors out and returned 03/12/12 22:22:30 with a claim for credit.

Second copy of this unit is sent out 03/12/12 20:17:56 and is still in progress with a return time of 13/12/12 20:17:56

So I have picked up this unit to replace the "errored" one, sent at 03/12/12 22:29:50, but my return time is 07/12/12 22:29:50

How come I only get 4 days to process this unit when the original guy gets 10 days? I could understand if this was a "rush job" but it isn't.

Thanks in advance for easing my brain cell!
----------------------------------------
[Dec 3, 2012 10:51:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:
Re: Unit "return time" question

genhos,

You may want to read this thread in the FAQ concerning Work Unit deadlines:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/...ead,17160_offset,0#137723

[Dec 3, 2012 11:01:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

There's an old [repeated] request to give repair tasks at least the same deadline as the original, with a minimum of 4, but here goes: The repairs get the same short deadline as the No Reply, 40% of the original deadline so when 10 days, the deadline for the collective make-up jobs is 4 days. In the case of HCC that have an original deadline of 7 days, the make-up tasks deadline is 2.8 days. At the time the request was made the "same deadline as the original" required a database access to find out what that original period was, which increases database load. Since these "repair" assignments are only made to devices that are known to return work on average within 48 hours, it really makes no difference... 4 or 7 or 9 [if e.g. the error occurred on the first day the original was assigned]... these jobs get near dead sure reported withing 48 hours.

Edit: To sum it up, if reliable machines that get repair jobs, exclusively, are known to return work in 2 days, what does it matter whether that repair deadline is not one that matches the original deadline when further out than 2.8 or 4 days? Nothing, is of course the answer, so I think we can leave it at the KISS level, not load the database, and flatly take the 40% fraction of the standard return time requirement (which used to be 25%).

Edit2: The only benefit I could see from a client perspective is that it is less likely to break out of the FIFO order of processing, when the work buffer is higher than normal... in the 1.5-2 day range [Just not high enough to throw a client out of the coveted "reliable host" classification]. But who cares... BOINC is doing the work with only one mission: Deliver all tasks results before deadline.
[Dec 3, 2012 11:24:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
genhos
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

deltavee and SekeRob,

Thanks for the quick response and for easing my braincell. It all makes sense and has no doubt happened to me in the past, it's just never been noticed before.
Should have studied the FAQ in more detail before posting as I managed to miss the linked thread blushing

Crunch on!
[Dec 4, 2012 12:09:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread