Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1025 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: CEP2: Task restarted from after reboot of a system

Hello linguistian,
CEP2 writes a big result file which takes a long time to upload. This means that the check points can also be gigantic. There are 16 jobs, so-called, in a task. Each is a different algorithm running over the task. Therefore there are 15 checkpoints written between jobs. The most important information comes first. The last is optional for any particular task, although the information is wanted for a percentage of the adjacent tasks. There is no solution for the loss of computation time within a job. If you reboot during Job #2, the longest one, you may lose several hours. You can see in BOINC Manager how long it has been since the last check point by selecting the CEP2 task and clicking on Properties, which lists some information. Since I only reboot for a reason, I prefer to ignore CEP2, since it always hurts if I lose more than a few minutes.

Lawrence
[Mar 25, 2013 7:20:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
linguistian
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: CEP2: Task restarted from after reboot of a system

Hi lawrencehardin,

ok, thanks for the reply. I liked CEP2 most and use to run only that project at work, but now it seems i should let it go. Usually my work computer has 8 hours of uptime every work day, but that is not enough for CEP2, and usually after the deadline the task is just closed and ignored. I should stay away from it, unless they find a way to make the checkpoints more frequent...
[Mar 25, 2013 10:34:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread