Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 24
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1800 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
NixChix
Veteran Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Surprise Project Completions

The sudden and surprise completetion of both DDDT2 and C4SW have me feeling somewhat glum about crunching. After filling my cache with other work and setting my three computers to receive just DDDT2 work EVERY morning for the past 4-1/2 months and waiting, waiting, waiting for the work that never came has got me feeling that this is not fun anymore. I don't feel much like a valued team member any longer and more like a resource that is just taken for granted. sad

Cheers coffee
----------------------------------------

[Mar 23, 2013 6:12:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Surprise Project Completions

There was NO surprise, we were all warned well in advance and everything comes to an end - just look at all the completed projects. Cheer up, there are bound to be others along soon and don't forget, all the projects here are beneficial to mankind as a whole , not just peeps like astonomers, mathematicians etc! biggrin wink
[Mar 23, 2013 6:27:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The dilemma with more badges colors is, that the more levels, the more chance some volunteers get stuck "just before" their next target. Still hurting over the 87 days that Fiocruz Comparative Genome is showing on My Grid.... just 2 days, few hours short of gold. crying

But why doing this for 4.5 months, and knowing that the Type A would have been only 1K WUs, only going to reliable hosts [but that likely would have been a disabled function under the new server 700], and limited to 1 per core for 5-8 hours, when the big run, just put out the buckets C, would have filled automatically when A+B had passed in the blink of an eye **... the riddles of the Klondike gold diggers fever I suppose. Sorry is all that can be said... it's over.

edit: ** with lots of Rain Thread discussion, no doubt in the preceding weeks to Type C release.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Mar 23, 2013 11:01:19 AM]
[Mar 23, 2013 10:50:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
johncmacalister2010@gmail.com
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

The sudden and surprise completetion of both DDDT2 and C4SW have me feeling somewhat glum about crunching. After filling my cache with other work and setting my three computers to receive just DDDT2 work EVERY morning for the past 4-1/2 months and waiting, waiting, waiting for the work that never came has got me feeling that this is not fun anymore. I don't feel much like a valued team member any longer and more like a resource that is just taken for granted. sad

Cheers coffee

There's LOTS of valuable work to be done - cast your net further! In March, I am processing only GPU tasks for HCC, POEM@home and GPUGrid projects.

There's fun out there biggrin

crunching, crunching, crunching.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-core Processor with Windows 11 64 Pro.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor with Windows 11 64 Pro (part time)

smile
[Mar 23, 2013 11:36:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NixChix
Veteran Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

There was NO surprise, we were all warned well in advance and everything comes to an end - just look at all the completed projects.

No Scribe, were weren't warned well in advance. They were both surprises. Yes, all projects are expected to end (maybe not FAAH and HPF wink ), but according to the unofficial dashboard there was 300 days left on CFSW when the announcement was made that there were 6 weeks left. Just 6 weeks prior to that annoucement, there are postings stating the project was only 16% complete. Now even if you were following the signs and trying to complete work on all projects in a logical sequence based on project completion, you would have been surprised.
Now with DDDT2, the last postings by the project scientists and WCG techs (prior to yesterday) had everyone believing that there would be 60 days of WUs after alpha testing of new WUs was complete. The next posting (yesterday) after 4-1/2 months of us wondering (and asking) what was going on states that the project is done. I do not understand from yesterday's posting what happened to the expected work or what happened in the intervening 4-1/2 months.
What happened in both of these cases was a complete surprise to us mere crunchers. The premature completion of both projects was not to be expected from the information that was given to us.

Cheers coffee

[Mar 23, 2013 5:35:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

I just hope Mr. watowich's team will not be involved in any further project in WCG. It seems to have huge problem in keeping its own deadlines and huge problem in communication with its co-workers/partners.

Anyway, after this, I respect WCG even more. Good decision guys, thank you.

Cheers and NI!

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Mar 23, 2013 6:10:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NixChix
Veteran Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

But why doing this for 4.5 months, and knowing that the Type A would have been only 1K WUs, only going to reliable hosts [but that likely would have been a disabled function under the new server 700], and limited to 1 per core for 5-8 hours, when the big run, just put out the buckets C, would have filled automatically when A+B had passed in the blink of an eye **... the riddles of the Klondike gold diggers fever I suppose. Sorry is all that can be said... it's over.
Why: The reason why I had buckets* out every morning is that DDDT2 WUs usually came without warning while I was at work (WCG and I are very close in time zones). In your timezone Rob, you would be seeing the start of rain (for those not following the DDDT2 threads rain = sporadic release of DDDT2 WUs) in the late afternoon through early evening. In my timezone I had to be prepared in advance. We were expecting 60 days of work and it would take 53.3 more days for my 3 crunchers to reach 2 years of work. I "needed" to get the A/B units as well to ensure my sapphire fever was satisfied within a safe margin to allow for the occassional glitches such as power outage, having to shut down whilst out of town, WUs that error out, or perhaps the project completing sooner due to everyone rushing to complete. I was just doing what we we had all been admonished to do.

*I started a few weeks after the announcement, when the A/B units would have been expected. So maybe only 4 months of buckets out every morning. tongue

Cheers coffee

[Mar 23, 2013 6:23:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NixChix
Veteran Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

I just hope Mr. watowich's team will not be involved in any further project in WCG. It seems to have huge problem in keeping its own deadlines and huge problem in communication with its co-workers/partners.
There is not even information on "project completion" on the project website. The last posting there was back in November.
Please explain why you say that Branjo. I didn't see any postings from WCG after the initial discussion of the alpha work. What happened with that? It looks like WCG kept us in the dark as much as the researchers.

Cheers coffee

[Mar 23, 2013 6:45:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

There is not even information on "project completion" on the project website. The last posting there was back in November.
Please explain why you say that Branjo. I didn't see any postings from WCG after the initial discussion of the alpha work. What happened with that? It looks like WCG kept us in the dark as much as the researchers.

Cheers coffee

It is just my feeling of whole "cause". It can be way from reality, but I am guessing nobody from us will ever hear/read the real reason of such parting.

WCG can, or can not share information regarding its co-operation with its partners (probably there is more CAN NOT than CAN). And I have a feeling, that WCG just took a decision to finish the co-op with such unreliable partner w/o lot of buzz about it.

If this is (some kind of) truth, it is sign of professionalism if you ask me.

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Mar 23, 2013 7:32:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

Scribe wrote:
There was NO surprise, we were all warned well in advance and everything comes to an end - just look at all the completed projects.

Well, personally I didn't get the memo telling me DDDT2 finished in July 2012, since going by my crunching-history this is the last time got any DDDT2-work...

But, after some earlier WCG-projects ending earlier than anticipated, it shouldn't be a big surprise DDDT2 also ended abruptly. sleep

Sekerob wrote:
But why doing this for 4.5 months, and knowing that the Type A would have been only 1K WUs, only going to reliable hosts [but that likely would have been a disabled function under the new server 700], and limited to 1 per core for 5-8 hours, when the big run, just put out the buckets C, would have filled automatically when A+B had passed in the blink of an eye

"filled automatically" and DDDT2? confused

Even during the so-called "heavy rainfalls" in 2011, except for the now-retired dual-core it was impossible to get enough DDDT2-work to not sit idle part of the time, or run another project instead due to lack of DDDT2-work. Well, granted, I didn't make a script along the lines of sleep 30 or something to try getting more DDDT2-work out of the "committed to other platform" scheduling-servers... sleep

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Mar 23, 2013 8:52:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread