Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1670 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Of SSD's and CEP2 Data

On my most recent test using the "Total Write" indicator on PrimoCache, I was writing 65 GB/day running one CEP2 task on a single core of an E8400 at 3 GHz. So each virtual core of an Ivy Bridge i7-3770 will write over 100 GB/day.
[Sep 18, 2013 2:22:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Paul Schlaffer
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

An improvement in work-unit completion time due to an SSD will be dependent on what you were using before. In my scenario the disk utilization and response times (running 12 CEP work-units) improved significantly for the first 2 minutes of the work-unit. The remainder was only a little better, however I was already running these work-units on a 5 drive array. This will of course result in some overall CEP improvement. How much is difficult to measure due to the WU variability.

In my case I moved the BOINC data directory to an 64 gb Intel X-25E SLC SSD to remove the load from my RAID array. This unit has a 2 petabyte endurance rating before manual over-provisioning. Running more than a couple CEP units on a consumer level SSD drive, in my opinion, does not make sense due to the amount of writes generated. One of my quad systems is exclusively CEP and generates 1 TB of writes per week. The workstation is running 12 concurrent CEP work-units and has 22 TB of writes on the drive so far. I think it only makes sense to use an SSD if you are running a large number of work-units. Otherwise I would just run these on a HD. Hard drive performance can always be improved by placing additional drives in RAID 0.
----------------------------------------

“Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.” – James Madison (1792)
[Sep 19, 2013 3:16:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
OldChap
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

I have considered running an ssd but it would be one of the better or proven ones and of course in view of the heavy writes on cep2 I consider that one should aim for a larger drive.

In testing, the 64 gb Intel X-25E SLC SSD mentioned above has proven itself to have the longevity.

The intel 520 and Samsung 830 have done well

I think that I would look for an 840 pro or maybe even an 840 EVO if buying just now... the price difference might allow the evo to be a bigger drive.

I have a 520 and an 840 pro and am trying to gather info on the newer crucial 500 series before returning to CEP2.

It would be nice to run these 32 core rigs in ram though...I shall perhaps experiment on just a single 16 core rig

[Sep 19, 2013 5:23:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mgruben
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Not that this is in response to your original question, but since you have a fair amount of RAM, have you considered moving your /slots directory to a RAMdisk (tmpfs)? I run one on my 2c4t Ubuntu SSD rig (12GB RAM) and don't write more than a gig every few days. Also the SSD isn't accessed except to read the work units onto the RAMdisk and write them off.

[Sep 21, 2013 2:01:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Any word on when the new Q-Chem engine will come out? Still holding back from CEP2 due to the heavy number of writes it does to disk.

Thanks,
Faldor
[Sep 28, 2013 5:10:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
armstrdj
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

The new Q-Chem update is in the queue but there are several higher priority tasks ahead of it. Also it is not expected to greatly reduce the disk I/O.

Thanks,
armstrdj
[Oct 1, 2013 4:34:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread