Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 711 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
eh.griffith
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Suggestion for automatic sign up for CEP2

When this project first started, it made sense to warn people about the extra computing requirements. Now I have noticed even going to used computer stores in Atlanta (hardly the forefront of technology!), all the used computers could handle the load. Computers have advanced in accordance with Moore's law. Perhaps it is time to allow for an automatic sign up as for all the other projects. You do a great job and there is no reason other projects do five times as much computing.
----------------------------------------

[Jun 21, 2013 8:07:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:
Re: Suggestion for automatic sign up for CEP2

Lots of computers are capbale of running CEP2. However, not all of them are online 24/7. Enabling automatic sign up for CEP2 would results in lots of lost CPU time because of this project's far apart checkpoints.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Jun 21, 2013 8:59:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

.....and not forgetting the massive bandwidth required on the upload which has nothing to do with the PC in use either wink
[Jun 22, 2013 4:56:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

When this project first started, it made sense to warn people about the extra computing requirements. Now I have noticed even going to used computer stores in Atlanta (hardly the forefront of technology!), all the used computers could handle the load. Computers have advanced in accordance with Moore's law. Perhaps it is time to allow for an automatic sign up as for all the other projects. You do a great job and there is no reason other projects do five times as much computing.

Moore's law doesn't help when it comes to CEP2, since the weak spot is still the disk-system since not even a new system is guaranteed to have SSD.

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Jun 22, 2013 11:54:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

WCG does the erring on the lowest common denominator side i.e., yes if new members really came with latest up to snuff stuff, very maybe, but the reach out is to everyone who ever hears of WCG with a quite low base spec of device, so defaults can't possibly be set to an all-out-max... a recipe of ''how to loose...''.

That said, once we see WCG endorsing their 7.0.xx client and it's app_config.xml feature [I've been beating the drum on], we may be seeing a more active drive... Doubling would be great, but think already going from ~18y to ~23-24y/day is substantially creditable to users taking on the <max_concurrent> setting [knreed said he can't measure this presently]. The WCG client will also tell the server what the app_config content is, so it can tune into providing enough work that the maximum per spec are running... e.g. if max_concurent CEP2 is set to 2 and client specifies 1 day buffer on a quad, make it have 6 ''in progress'', so any buffered CEP2 is oldest and therefor will always be first in wait to be started. Been doing this myself since first introduction through the 7.0.40 [test] client.

edit: Of course, if you specify CEP2 only for WCG, that's all you get... 6 with 2 running in the example. Make sure you have other projects selected, or cores run idle. The other projects will top up the buffer and run as and when it's their regular FIFO turn [in a non-panic order state of client].
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jun 22, 2013 12:23:06 PM]
[Jun 22, 2013 12:17:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread