Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 669 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
OldChap
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
CEP2. How much memory really?

I have always been cautious about running too many Clean Energy threads at once but as there seems to be little else to run I decided to take a look at memory use now that I have a bigger rig with more mems.....

Linux Mint 15, 64bit Cinnamon here and the System monitor is showing 31 threads using 5.7GB. ???

I thought that it is supposed to need a GB per thread??? It still says that on: [url]https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewTopic.do?shortName=minimumreq[/url]

Anyone got any input on this? Does it use more as the wu's progress? (currently I have progress between 9 and 69%)
----------------------------------------

[Jul 11, 2013 7:02:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: CEP2. How much memory really?

The longer the time since checkpoint, the more memory used. I have seen reports of upwards of 7-800 mb per thread.
each wu uses 2 threads, 1 with a small memory footprint, the other using the lions share, the pair could use up to 1 gig total
[Jul 11, 2013 7:41:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The researchers try to estimate the size required for a molecule and send us only those with small memory footprints, usually much lower than a GB. But there are some molecules we don't see which are much larger than a GB. So the GB per thread requirement is generally much larger than is actually used. But not always.
[Jul 11, 2013 8:17:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Rickjb
Veteran Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

Don't know how you examine amounts of memory allocated by Linux for processes.
I'm running all Windoze ATM, and Task Manager (WTM) can show usage by each process of several categories of memory.
Just had a quick look online at a man (1) page for Linux ps, but couldn't see anything about process mem usage.

I expect that mem usage under Windows is a good guide to mem usage under Linux, so here goes:
The memory categories that can be displayed in WTM are:
- Working Set, Peak Working Set, Working Set Delta, Private Working Set, Commit Size, Paged Pool, Non-paged Pool.
AFAIK, the one most relevant to your question is Private Working Set, which is memory not shared by other processes (eg excludes shared run-time-linked function libraries). Working Set adds the code & data shared with other processes, so there would be some multiple-counting if you summed all the tasks' Working Sets. Commit size includes vitual memory, and is the sum of physical memory plus pagefile allocation.
(I'm no expert on this, so corrections from gurus are most welcome).
Looking at Private Working Set (in MB) of WCG tasks on a couple of my machines running 64-bit BOINC under Win 7 x64:
3770K:
3 x CEP2 tasks (qchem): 230 (peak wkg set 287), 90, 126
The CEP2 WU managers use about an additional 5MB each.
5xFAAH tasks (old AutoDock): 99, 99, 106, 97, 106
3770K:
3 x CEP2 tasks: 100, 235, 90
5 x FAAH tasks: 106, 102, 102, 106, 102
Q9650:
2xCEP2 tasks: 75, 80
2xFAAH tasks: 96, 110

Generally, I have rounded the WTM figures up to the nearest MB.

Average Private Working Set for 8 CEP2 tasks : 128MB
Average Private Working Set for 12 FAAH tasks: 103MB

- HTH -
[Jul 11, 2013 8:28:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

And then there was the V of Virtual. That is FAICR included in the memory spec of the SR page.
[Jul 11, 2013 8:43:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mamajuanauk
Master Cruncher
United Kingdom
Project Badges:

Just had a look on Win7/64 2 wu's running 2 threads @ 100k & 2 threads @ 2k of memory.

The 2k threads don't change much, the other 2, vary between 90k to 110k

I have got Boinc set not to use virtual memory/cache/pagefile

Machine has 16gb of ram
----------------------------------------
Mamajuanauk is the Name! Crunching is the Game!

[Jul 11, 2013 9:50:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Rather than doing it the hard way, in BOINC Manager select a running task and hit properties on left. This will tell the momentary memory usages. I've had my Linux box set to 0 page file use, yet the DSFL tasks I'm looking at use 34 to 42MB VM as in the VM is running inside RAM space [The Linux SM tells me the VM use is 25MB of 3.1GB]
[Jul 11, 2013 10:01:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread