Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 587 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Windows tuning for BOINC

There may be same topic in somwhere though, I could not find it so I will inform my findings to everybody.

My Windows machine is;
CPU:Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3700Mhz HT ON
MEM:16GB DDR3
HDD:C - Intel SSD 256MB
HDD:D - SATA3 2TB
BOINC:7.0.64 for Win

At the first, I have installed Win7 as MS default and have installed BOINC. What I have faced is almost all CEP2 WUs have been terminated with 12h time out. All other WUs for other projects takes almost x2 run time compaired with a Linux machine with Core2 Duo E8500/8GB RAM. I have been thinking it is because HT machine takes 2 times more than none HT machine because an actual H/W core divided into 2 logical cores so it is reasonable.

However, last week, I found following switch in the registory was off which I usually set on at installation time.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\DisablePagingExecutive

I just set it on as usual. Then a significant performance improvement has been observed. Almost all WUs complete about 40% faster than before. No CEP2 WUs now time out but complete around 10h. FAAH WUs now completes less than 5h which used to consumes about 8h.

I will not recommend to turn on the switch if you DON'T have large enough RAM installed on your machine though, it is worth to try it. If the result is not so good, turn it off. How much RAM is "LARGE ENOUGH" depends on your PC usage. However, if you have 64bit Windows and have more than 8GB, it may worth to try.

Important notice:
If you do not know how to edit the registory, I will strongly recommend NOT to touch it. In the worst case, Windows will never boots.

Thanks. Kiyo.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 17, 2013 3:12:10 AM]
[Jul 17, 2013 2:52:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Windows tuning for BOINC

hmmmm, so you found the registry switch for the virtual memory which can also be done via System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory Change, untick automatic then No Paging file.

Yes, if you want to dabble in and fumble at registry modification [no instructions given what to do in OP what's on/off and WTD after you set that key [mine is 0 which is exactly how I expect it... default Windows uses the VM]. Do we restart Windows for this to take effect, and than maybe find the device not starting?

If you have 40% gain from switching off the VM on a 16GB 3770, then something is much more wrong than the VM use. My 8 core 2670QM 8GB ram runs CEP2 at 99% efficiency [BOINCTasks stats], and that is the value impacted.... the differences between Elapsed and CPU time. It's most always managed to finish the tasks within 12 hours, at 2.2GHZ.

Edit: Selecting the No Paging file radio box then Hit the Set button will tell what'to do next.:D

And for those who like to read up on this key: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757875%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 17, 2013 6:50:42 AM]
[Jul 17, 2013 6:48:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread