Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 899 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Not finding GPU?

Hello, I'm a newb, so be gentle ;)

I am attempting to run my GTX 650 on the CEP and have the following app_config.xml file in my data directory (C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.worldcommunitygrid.org)

<app_config>
<app>
<name>cep2</name>
<max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>1.000</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>1.000</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>

So, when I read in the preferences file via advanced -> read config file it finds the app_config file, but it still doesn't fetch any GPU work. Only CPU.

So ... did I do this right and there's just no GPU work? Or am I doing something wrong? Halp! crying
[Aug 17, 2013 4:30:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Not finding GPU?

Sorry but there are NO GPU projects at the moment, they are all CPU only.
[Aug 17, 2013 4:45:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

OK. FIgured that would be a possibility. Where would I find status of the projects that might DO support GPU work / have it?
[Aug 17, 2013 4:56:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

hi eskercurve,
The answer to your query concerning cep2 and gpu is gentle. The problem is this: cep2 does not employ the gpu. You will receive cpu work units only (gnarly, to be sure), but cpu only. Good luck!
paul
[Aug 17, 2013 5:09:41 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[Aug 17, 2013 5:17:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mamajuanauk
Master Cruncher
United Kingdom
Project Badges:

OK. FIgured that would be a possibility. Where would I find status of the projects that might DO support GPU work / have it?

Also try the following:

Medical - Poem
sAStro - Milkyway & Seti
----------------------------------------
Mamajuanauk is the Name! Crunching is the Game!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Mamajuanauk at Aug 17, 2013 9:03:59 AM]
[Aug 17, 2013 8:56:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

For nvidia you might want to check out GPUGrid. For AMD, try Folding@home.. major improvements were made in the new fahcore17 but it's still in beta and you'll need to configure "client-type" to "advanced" (Google it:) to get work. Core 16 is pretty slow and runs pretty hot while 17 is about 10x faster and consumes about 1-2% of the processor.
[Aug 17, 2013 12:57:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Cool! Thanks for the suggestions folks! I figured that the WCG would be my one-stop shop for "good for humanity" topics because of the different projects they're doing, but never hurts to find out more interesting research projects.

I updated my sig ... pretty much says what my core interests are in terms of helping out. By trade I'm an aeronautical engineer, and have a hobby of refurbishing / restoring computers. Hence why if you look at my computers you'll see a hodgepodge. :) Take care all!

I think this is resolved. I ensured my WCG settings allow GPU work as it becomes available. I've gotten it to work on SETI and Einstein, was just curious if there's more out there, and I got it answered!
[Aug 17, 2013 3:03:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

PrimeGrid, Moo!, Collatz, Milkyway, GPUGrid, Poem, Seti, Seti Beta, Einstein, Albert, DistRTGen, Ibercivis (or at least they did...it may be finished), and Bitcoin Utopia. Donate is now done and over. At the moment those are the only BOINC GPU projects that I can think of.

[Aug 18, 2013 2:48:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread