Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 619 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
download speed

Supposedly I'm only doing 37.94kb/s

I have a 46 PLUS megabit DL speed.

CEP2 has always downloaded like sh!t from their/wcg wherever servers

I've done 3 years worth of CEP2, dont let the door hit you on the A$$
----------------------------------------

[Dec 2, 2013 4:12:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dark Angel
Veteran Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:
Re: download speed

I love it when people can't tell the difference between mega bits and mega bytes or work out that "teh interwebz" isn't a direct connection from them to whatever it is they want RIGHT THIS INSTANT. The tantrums are so much fun to watch!

The door comment is supposed to be aimed at the people who are leaving, btw. You could have at least tried to get that right.

Currently being moderated under false pretences
[Dec 2, 2013 4:25:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Cmdrd
Advanced Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

Was going to make a reply explaining how TCP works and that transferring lots of small files using a connection-based protocol isn't the fastest but provides reliability/congestion control, then realized that Jack is obviously a troll.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (8 cores/16 threads)@3.85 GHz, 32 GB RAM
7x Dual Intel Xeon E5-2640 (2 x 6 cores/12 threads)@2.5 GHz, 256 GB RAM
[Dec 2, 2013 4:49:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Jack is not a troll, but seemingly [lightly] agitated by this left field event.

Yes, if the client has downloaded many small files [from any project, not just WCG] BOINC never reaches maximum download rate... the proportional intertubz overhead causes this]... this caused the BINC DL rated value to drop. Set the CEP2 device profile to 2 [down below in the custom section], and it will override the minimum ''measured'' BOINC speed, which is I think 64K as restricted by WCG.

If only wanting to process 1 CEP2 at the time, upgrade to BOINC 7.0.64/65 (depends on it being Windows or Mac/Linux). That one allows to app_config [read forums topic], for each science how many are allowed to compute concurrent with the <max_concurrent> parm. My Linux box and W32 are set to 1.
[Dec 2, 2013 8:51:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread