Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 795 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Percentage of resends seems to high

Now that MCM has resumed it seems we are back to executing about 50% resends. At any given time it seems that half of the WUs executing have due dates that are 3 days or less. I have at least 4 pages of pending validations that are due to NO REPLY WUs. Seems so inefficient. Just venting. Crunch on.
[Jan 30, 2014 12:00:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Percentage of resends seems to high

I think a lot of those no reply's are due to the Ripple crowd and their use of cloud computing. If they get bid off of a machine those WU's go off to oblivion and need to be re-issued. I think Uplinger alluded to this phenomenon a while back.
Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jan 30, 2014 1:05:27 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Byteball_730a2960
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Didn't Kevin also say that results from the faulty batches would be sent out again? Would they come under umbrella of being resends?
[Jan 30, 2014 8:17:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pcwr
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

All of my resends are due to "no reply". I would have thought that the faulty batches would have been aborted by the system and not just left to try and complete.

Patrick

[Jan 30, 2014 10:15:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jonnieb-uk
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

The faulty WUs were withdrawn automatically by the server as indicated in knreed's post .

To Join follow this link: Join the UK Team All Welcome! UK Team thread
[Jan 30, 2014 11:52:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Just received a batch of 41 resends on one machine. That's just too crazy. Moving my cache to 3 days so none of my 104 cores will be considered reliable and let someone else clean up the Ripple crowd's mess....
[Feb 3, 2014 2:39:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I am seeing a fair number of resends also, but I just let them run, my cache is small enough so I don't hit panic mode.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Feb 3, 2014 9:26:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
seippel
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

We are currently investigating this issue which we believe is related to checkpointing on the type of work unit that is being run now (MCM1 has many different work unit types). We will report back when we have more information. Changing the boinc setting to leave the application in memory may help reduce the likelihood of a restart.

Seippel
[Feb 5, 2014 4:12:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I don't think we are talking about the same issue. My concern is the percentage of WUs that miss the return deadline and are resent to the grid with the shortened return deadline. Just seems very inefficient to send work, 50% miss the deadline, and then resend again to a smaller pool of resources with a shortened deadline. Before Ripple, it was about 10 to 15% resends but recently I was executing almost 50% (sometimes higher) resends. My protest is to not have my resources be indicated as reliable. I'm getting almost all new work now..
[Feb 8, 2014 2:57:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
seippel
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

The percentage of work units that miss the deadline and end up as "no reply" has remained fairly consistent at 3.1%. What may be happening though is that fewer machines are considered reliable due to the checkpointing issue so those machines that are considered reliable are getting a higher percentage of resends.

Seippel
[Feb 12, 2014 4:19:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread