Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 38
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2348 times and has 37 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: "400 slots directories" work unit error

mgruben, you may want to post the content of a result log for one task that encountered this issue. Hopefully it records some error code.
[Mar 28, 2014 6:38:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mgruben
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Could it be a misleading message due to an issue creating a new slot directory ?
If something like permissions were such that existing slot directories could be used but new ones not created you may get this message as code does not expect other failures creating a slot directory.
I made sure to run
chown -R boinc:boinc /var/lib/boinc/slots
about a day or two ago to eliminate the possibility of permissions errors
----------------------------------------

[Mar 28, 2014 10:16:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mgruben
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

mgruben, you may want to post the content of a result log for one task that encountered this issue. Hopefully it records some error code.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure which WU that would be; there are
(1) WUs which are running,
(2) WUs which are suspended, and
(3) WUs which BOINC is trying to start
when the 400-slot error is thrown.

It's not presently throwing the 400-slot error, but when it does I'll see if any results logs have error codes in them and post.

[Mar 28, 2014 10:21:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobCat13
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

I posted about this thread on the Boinc Alpha mailing list and David Anderson responded:

"Subdirectories of slot directories are not counted.

The only reason for lots of slot directories that I can think of are:

1) lots of started jobs, each one getting preempted by the next.
If this happens it's a bug in the scheduler.

2) a permission problem that prevents slot directories from getting
cleared and reused.

If we see this problem again lets look for signs of one of these."

It isn't #1 since you only have 6 slot directories, so it could be a permissions problem. Paul may have the right idea that new slots can't be created, but already existing ones can be reused once a task completes.

Next time you get the 400 slots error, try checking permissions on on the /slots/ directory. Maybe the individually numbered directories have write permission, but the parent /slots/ directory doesn't.
[Mar 29, 2014 1:54:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mgruben
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

It isn't #1 since you only have 6 slot directories, so it could be a permissions problem.
This seems like a valid deduction; I note that my previous attempt at ensuring that permissions were not the cause was to run
sudo chown -R boinc:boinc /var/lib/boinc/slots
Though perhaps I am misunderstanding what the permissions of the slots directory should be set to (e.g., perhaps it's actually a chmod problem):
ls -l /var/lib/boinc

drwxrwx--t 10 boinc boinc 4096 Mar 29 03:06 slots

[Mar 30, 2014 12:09:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
seippel
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

Mgruben,

When you are experiencing the problem, can you try to create and remove a test directory in the slots directory as the boinc user (from the command line)?

Seippel
[Apr 1, 2014 4:00:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I run 12 GB ramdisks on Win7 64-bit machines that are backed up by a UPS and normally have no problems. But if a crash occurs for some reason, then the ramdisks can get corrupted, and I get strange error messages. I don't know about Linux, but I would try deleting the ramdisk and starting over.
[Apr 1, 2014 4:20:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mgruben
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

(Seeing your helpful posts; waiting on error to recur before I can test their suggestions)

[Apr 2, 2014 4:12:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread