Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1178 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: inefficient cpu?

Ouch. Windows is notoriously inefficient on CEP2 I/O but Linux does much better. Does anybody have any ideas?

Maybe on older CPUs, but I run CEP2 on WinXP 32-bit and get 98% efficiency on 7 virtual cores of a Haswell i7-4770. The other core supports two GPUs for GPUGrid. (I know, one of the few Haswell machines running XP, but that is for the GPU work).

Another machine gets 99% efficiency on 6 cores of an Ivy Bridge i7-3770, with the other two cores supporting GPUs on Folding, but that is with Win7 64-bit. I don't know if the OS makes the difference, but it is small.

However, in all cases I don't try to run it directly off of a disk drive, but use a ramdisk or write cache, so I am operating out of main memory. That, along with the good I/O of these chips, makes the difference.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jim1348 at Mar 27, 2014 2:07:59 PM]
[Mar 27, 2014 10:20:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread