Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 496 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
wetlandstom
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Run times of application always shorter that oribinally posted

My computer is running 4 applications at a time, and I usually receive one from "The Clean Energy Project Phase 2" per day. The estimated times for completion varies, of course. But quite often the actual calculation times are much less than the estimated "to Completion" time when the application is sent to my computer. I am wondering why this is. Thanks.
[Mar 12, 2014 12:34:45 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Run times of application always shorter that oribinally posted

Hello wetlandstomm,
This is because of your Duration Control Factor (DCF). The server guesses how long the work unit should take on a standard computer and your DCF corrects this. If your computer normally takes twice the time the server guesses, then your DCF will double the estimated time. Some complications: in order to keep your buffer from overfilling, your DCF gets larger very quickly but will shrink very slowly. If the server underestimates the time 1 unit will take, then your DCF will overestimate the time necessary for additional work for a long time. Which is what you say is happening now for CEP2. We used to have 1 DCF for all WCG projects, but now we have a separate DCF for each project. You can edit the file in which these DCF values are stored, but I recommend against it,

Lawrence
[Mar 12, 2014 12:52:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread