Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 964 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
jc209964
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Get more than one task

Hi, BOINC doesn't seem to be downloading more than one task for The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2. Would love to get all my CPUs onboard this one. Is there a setting I need to change?
[Jun 3, 2014 7:45:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Get more than one task

Yes, near the bottom of your device profiles is a setting for the number of tasks for CEP, default is one biggrin
[Jun 3, 2014 7:54:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

Go to http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/device/viewDevices.do , click the Selected profile associated with your computer and follow Scribe's instructions wink

Cheers good luck
----------------------------------------

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Jun 3, 2014 7:56:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Seoulpowergrid
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks for the information.

And I should ask at the same time. By changing the profile on one of my machines, does that make it cancel the WUs for projects I am disconnecting from or will the ones I have finish themselves out, but then no new ones come?

Cheers~

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Seoulpowergrid at Jun 3, 2014 9:02:44 AM]
[Jun 3, 2014 8:55:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

Don't worry, they will finish but new ones from disconnected sub-project will not be downloaded (but you have to uncheck "If there is no work available for the project(s) I have selected above, please send me work from another project" in that profile).

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Edit 1 times, last edit by branjo at Jun 3, 2014 9:20:35 AM]
[Jun 3, 2014 9:20:09 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Keep in mind that CEP2 is kind of hard on your drive. That's why the default setting is one. It's best to keep an eye on the log. If you see tasks being restarted, than it's too much for your device. Lower the number of running CEP2's until you see no more restarts.
[Jun 3, 2014 9:46:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Paul Schlaffer
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Keep in mind that CEP2 is kind of hard on your drive. That's why the default setting is one. It's best to keep an eye on the log. If you see tasks being restarted, than it's too much for your device. Lower the number of running CEP2's until you see no more restarts.

I have done a LOT of testing in this regard. My 16 core system and 2 quads are 100% CEP. From what I have found is you should have no problem running 4 concurrent work-units on a modern 7200 rpm hard drive. For those technically inclined you can monitor your queue depth and response times, however I would not worry about this unless you notice a system lag while performing other work. The project scientists have document with the optimal settings being 4 per hard drive.

Edit: Added link (see tips and tricks)
http://cleanenergy.molecularspace.org/participate/

“Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.” – James Madison (1792)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Paul Schlaffer at Jun 4, 2014 12:45:52 AM]
[Jun 4, 2014 12:37:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jc209964
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks, guise!
[Jun 4, 2014 9:32:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have done a LOT of testing in this regard. My 16 core system and 2 quads are 100% CEP. From what I have found is you should have no problem running 4 concurrent work-units on a modern 7200 rpm hard drive. For those technically inclined you can monitor your queue depth and response times, however I would not worry about this unless you notice a system lag while performing other work. The project scientists have document with the optimal settings being 4 per hard drive.

Edit: Added link (see tips and tricks)
http://cleanenergy.molecularspace.org/participate/

Sweet, I didn't know about the bottlenecks/performance degradation due to disk I/O. Thank you for linking the tips & tricks, something I should have read much earlier on cool
[Jun 14, 2014 5:28:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike.Gibson
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

Hi, folks

The main problem that I have found is the demand for RAM. That seems to have stepped up to 1.28 GB per WU. I have no problem running 8 at the same time on my quad now that I have 20 GB, but had to restrict to 3 on the previous 4 GB. I have been given a file which will do that if anyone would like it.

Mike
[Jun 19, 2014 5:42:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread