Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1151 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Use boinctasks to prepare for a boot with one or multiple cep2 running!

Saw this in the check-in notes for version 1.64:

1.64 September 2014

New: Suspend at checkpoint. Suspends a task after a checkpoint. Checkpoint column must be active.
Fixed: Project tab, some projects show ?? in the Project and Team rank column. Added stats/stats.xml for master url to url used conversion.

This allows to suspend one/more/all tasks at checkpoint, right click selection for 'suspend at checkpoint', before a planned boot. On hyperthreaded machines the remaining tasks will one by one actually start running faster, for each thread that's is being stopped till equal or or less than maximum threads.

Think before you do this all 'ready to start' cep2 work units need to be suspended too, action to be reversed after the boot is complete.

Alternately, pick up other work with short checkpointing to fill the threads where the cep2 are being suspended, then boot for least loss and maximum utilization till right before.

Maybe there's other scenarios to use this function, but this jumped right at me.
[Oct 4, 2014 4:02:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
OldChap
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Re: Use boinctasks to prepare for a boot with one or multiple cep2 running!

Good info....Thanks
----------------------------------------

[Oct 4, 2014 9:10:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Thanks for the heads up. I can see this been a very handy feature. At present it looks like the only way that you can get it is to download the beta version. Because when you go to check the latest updates it tells me I have the latest version and that is 1.61 released in May. This seems a little odd to me as there are numerous version after that maybe they are all betas. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

[Oct 4, 2014 9:52:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Gatchaman
Cruncher

Thank you, programming Gods of Boinctasks! Just updated to 1.66 and the option is there! Right click on the tasks and away you go!

"Sadly this project is turning into nonscience......"
[Oct 29, 2014 1:00:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Boinctasks? Where do I find this?
[Oct 30, 2014 2:55:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cowtipperbs
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Boinctasks? Where do I find this?

http://efmer.com/b/

[Oct 30, 2014 4:13:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Just updated to 1.66 and the option is there! Right click on the tasks and away you go!

Hi Gatchaman, if what you wrote above was referring to how to suspend CEP 2 tasks when they reach the next checkpoint I could not see how to do this. Could you please explain how you got the task to suspend at the next checkpoint? I was able to get the task to suspend by right clicking and then clicking suspend however when I click resume the task only starts from its last checkpoint. I have read through the manual on the website and couldn't see any information regarding the feature in question even though I know it is in the change log

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Speedy51 at Oct 30, 2014 5:16:24 AM]
[Oct 30, 2014 5:12:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Here are the steps to activate suspend at next checkpoint: our
1 Open Boinc tasks
2 Click the Extra menu select Boinc task settings
4 Click the Task tab
5 put a tick in the Checkpoint box then click OK
That's it you are done

[Jan 16, 2015 4:03:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread