Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 882 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
imakuni
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
CEP2 low on WUs?

Title. Within the last 12~15h, I've been having a fair bit of trouble into getting CEP2 WUs. I have 4 different machines, configured for CEP2 and OET. My boinc is also set to leave at least 1 core free (via app_config) on OET, so there is always a CEP2 WU crunching.

Still, there have been multiple times where I looked at the manager and saw no CEP2 WUs running. Attempts to request more jobs only download OET tasks, and the client is having to resort to backup projects with 0% resource shares in order to keep all cores running.

So is the CEP2 low on WUs, or is there a problem here / with the server?
----------------------------------------

Want to have an image of yourself like this on? Check this thread: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,29840
[Edit 1 times, last edit by imakuni at Mar 18, 2015 3:10:27 PM]
[Mar 18, 2015 3:09:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:
Re: CEP2 low on WUs?

imakuni,

In order to keep all cores running you may want to change your app_config strategy. If you set CEP2 to run one WU concurrently instead of limiting OET1, then your cores won't run dry. The problem then becomes how to keep a CEP2 WU in the queue as always the next WU to start. Much has been said about this in the forums, and the answer will lie in finding the correct proportion of cache size and CEP2 per host setting.

I have noticed that for the last couple of weeks CEP2 has not been the slam dunk it used to be. My crunchers often don't have their full complement of CEP2 WUs. I run CEP2 on 24 thread machines with CEP2 WUs per host set at 12, but app_config limited to 4 running concurrently. The crunchers often download lots of MCM1 when they are also running low on CEP2, which used to never happen, CEP2 was always given the first pick. I attributed it to the fact that MCM1 may also have a high priority, but am surprised to learn that it is happening with OET1 also.

[Mar 18, 2015 4:28:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

hmmm, have zero trouble to get CEP2 first time, all the time, but must say that I'm always using the restrict on -in the device profiles-, based on cache depth, have set 4 on laptop [default profile] and 7 on desktop [home profile], and in app_config set CEP2 to 1. The second project is OET1 on both. Because CEP2 is restricted to only allow 1 to run, the backlog is always oldest, so one CEP2 finishes there's an immediate take over by a new. All other cores [14] are occupied by OET. They have a limit of 7 in app_config, so in any case -even if CEP2 were not the oldest-, that one core is always doing clean energy.

Here's me sample app_config.xml from the wcg project folder:
<app_config>
<app>
<name>cep2</name>
<max_concurrent>1</max_concurrent>
</app>
<app>
<name>mcm1</name>
<max_concurrent>6</max_concurrent>
<fraction_done_exact/>
</app>
<app>
<name>ugm1</name>
<max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
<fraction_done_exact/>
</app>
<app>
<name>oet1</name>
<max_concurrent>7</max_concurrent>
<fraction_done_exact/>
</app>
</app_config>

If neither comes, then the profiles are flipped to add MCM/UGM, where the devices are then usually swarmed by MCM and a few UGM, so set those to 6 and 2. Never an idle core here.

@ Techs (if there's a point at all directing suggestions at techs ;o): Is CEP2 maybe not highest priority when choosing -unlimited-? If so, then for the very high core devices suggest the limiter is expanded from '1 default 2-16-unlimited' to '1 default 2-32-unlimited'. Then at least there'd be enough CEP2 queued before any other research starts crow-barring in.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Mar 18, 2015 5:26:06 PM]
[Mar 18, 2015 5:19:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

Sek, I can look into increasing the values allowed for CEP2 selection.

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Mar 20, 2015 3:46:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread