Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1487 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
Randi H
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Tasks reset to 0%

I just had one that reached 50% (about 8 hours) but was reset to 0 after I shut down my computer.

Some of my CEP tasks work fine when I have to shutdown and restart my computer and others do not. So, it would seem to be a setting in the task rather than a setting in my computer. I hope this can be fixed. Otherwise I will be forced to either give up CEP for the summer or abort tasks that always reset to zero.

Thanks

PS This does seem to be a relatively recent problem.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Randi H at Jun 6, 2015 3:31:03 PM]
[Jun 6, 2015 3:28:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Still don't see it with properly shutting down, noting I've programmed a delay for Windows shutdown, to give BOINC and the system time to write the progress files to storage. Long forgotten, but there's a registry key that can be set, somewhere in the Vista FAQ in Start Here.

Same time, set a multi minute delay [in cc_config] before BOINC can resume computing after a power cycle. Race conditions during a boot is a strong co-suspect cause of tasks resetting.

BTW, who's powering down these days [?], when the non-power consuming ibernation is available, which permits resume without a CPU cycle progress lost.
[Jun 6, 2015 5:00:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Randi H
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks!

I always suspend tasks and then exit BOINC with 'Stop running tasks' before shutting down Windows - according to CPDN instructions. I will try giving it a bit longer before shutting down Windows.
Leave task in memory while suspended is not checked. My computer does not have enough memory to do this when running some of the more memory intensive tasks. I only switch between applications every 4 hours. I have noticed that some CEP tasks stay in memory nonetheless. I will keep track of this.

I currently have <start_delay>120</start_delay>

My computer offers only Shutdown and Sleep.
[Jun 6, 2015 6:37:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The misnomer with LAIM understanding is, the OS -will move- portions to disk [VM], if RAM is needed for other applications [when tasks are paused]. With running tasks of course there could develop lots of disk swapping if RAM is in short supply. This is why default settings are to only compute when system is idle... which then requires LAIM to not exit the task app.

Ibernation often needs to be 'activated' somewhere in the Windows settings. Default it's not. Here's the W8 way: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-missing-hi...-in-windows-8-power-menu/
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Jun 6, 2015 6:54:24 PM]
[Jun 6, 2015 6:43:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Randi H
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Computing allowed While computer is in use is checked - and has been for a LONG time. Occasionally, like when I was running RNA World's VM task, I suspend a task when I am using the computer or running other memory-intensive BOINC tasks.

I thought Ibernation was something new, but I followed the link and that says Hibernate (very literal mind here!). Looking at Help and Support, I suspect that hybrid sleep is turned on. I'll have a look at the BIOS next time I reboot.
[Jun 6, 2015 7:27:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Other than what I provided in fix info, to clarify on your "I have noticed that some CEP tasks stay in memory nonetheless. I will keep track of this.", tasks will be retained in memory until they've completed first checkpoint, regardless if LAIM is on or off. Standard BOINC which cannot be overruled.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jun 6, 2015 7:52:10 PM]
[Jun 6, 2015 7:51:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Randi H
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks, that helps.
[Jun 7, 2015 5:59:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread