Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 952 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Discussion on BOINC's future...

BOINC's funding from the U.S. National Science Foundation has ended, at least for the time being.
This funding supported me, Rom Walton, and Charlie Fenton.
We're now working on other things, although we'll stay involved in BOINC at some level.

The BOINC project will continue, and will be run according to a community-based model rather than centrally.
In essence, the people who contribute to BOINC now make the decisions about it.
This model is summarized here: [url]http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/ProjectGovernance[/url] and described in detail here: [url]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...27oM8YpvsnR-gg[/url]

There will probably be little visible change.
The BOINC software will continue to work.
The translation system, Alpha testing project, BOINC web site,message boards, and email lists will continue to operate.
However, any new development and major bug fixes to BOINC will need to be done by volunteer programmers.
I'm confident that the BOINC community will meet the challenge.

I welcome your feedback.
Please post it to [email]boinc_admin@googlegroups.com[/email], a new email list for discussions about the BOINC project as a whole.

-- David

[url]http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=77650[/url]
----------------------------------------

[Jul 10, 2015 4:35:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Discussion on BOINC's future...

If not mistaken, there is already a discussion, to include a comment by the admin.
[Jul 10, 2015 4:54:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

But I agree with Coleslaw, this is the right forum raised eyebrow

Cheers peace

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Jul 10, 2015 7:50:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:

It's good to read that WCG/IBM is picking up Rom Walton, a Programmer/Analyst at UC Berkeley and member of the Boinc Project Management Committee. That is showing a leadership commitment to Boinc and the Distributed Computing community in general. Welcome Rom, in whatever your capacity is at WCG.

[Jul 10, 2015 9:44:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alged
Master Cruncher
FRANCE
Project Badges:

Having seen the forum (seti/berkeley/edu....) link above
all of this seem very technical for me.
Is BOINC just an engine that allows a community as WCG to contribute to scientific research?
The contribution of the Grid is for me essential relating to cancer,orphan diseases,tropical diseases (neglected and menacing
the occidental world now). More valuable than searching life in outer space.

Its better and more enduring and rewarding to donate through
crunching than donate one time a year to a charity.
Long live to WCG! Whatever the engine.

[Jul 11, 2015 10:28:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread