Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 929 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
USAksICTjohn
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
On shut down losing any work completed

When I shut down my computer at night, I lose any work already completed on Clean Energy Project tasks. This does not happen on other tasks (Ebola, FAAH). Very frustrating when I have spent all day working on a task!

Any ideas how to save current progress when shutting down?

My current procedure is to select "File" and then "Exit World Community Grid" after which I "shutdown" my computer.

Thanks!
[Sep 2, 2015 7:04:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
PMH_UK
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Re: On shut down losing any work completed

I suggest using hibernate rather than shutdown.
You may need to enable this from Control Panel, Power Options.

CEP tasks are very long running and can have long periods between checkpoints, hence much lost time.
Others checkpoint more often so less time lost.

Paul.
----------------------------------------
Paul.
[Sep 2, 2015 7:14:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Eric_Kaiser
Veteran Cruncher
Germany (Hessen)
Project Badges:

Hibernation only helps as long as you don't exit the boinc client. And keeping workunits in memory when paused is recommended.

[Sep 2, 2015 7:18:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:

If you have to shut down your computer at night then CEP2 may not be a good project for you.

[Sep 2, 2015 7:50:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
martyn_2010
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Some users might only be in a situation to give 8, 10 or 12 hours processing a day.

My CEP task got to over 6 hours when I shutdown. Next morning the task started again at about 4 hours.

To save users wasting time and electricity, perhaps a warning could be shown on the user projects checkbox page against CEP that the project should only be used for 24/7 processing.
[Sep 17, 2015 9:18:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The longest jobs in a task are first one and last one, second to penultimate ones last about 20 minutes (at least in my case): if you see that the last checkpoint happened more than 20 minutes ago it means it's performing the last job and you have to wait until it's done to shut down to avoid losing a notable period of work.

It's not necessarily true that this project is suitable for 24/7 crunching only since you can observe the runtime fo WUs and find out how it depends on the size of the molecules (just look at the number of carbon atoms in the name of the WU) then esteem how many WUs you can complete during the period your PC is operative.
If you can't or don't want to do this brief check when you start Boinc Manager then CEP phase 2 is suitable for 24/7 crunching only.

Don't forget CEP phase 2 is an opt in project precisely to avoid people wasting their resources: if you have to attach to it on purpose it's obvious you should take a look at the information about it (FAQ, forward on CEP site or WCG site) before starting to crunch. If you do so you'll immediately learn that it's a tough project and won't even start it or you'll start it expecting it could be unsuitable for you and once you've proved thath you'll quit it.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 18, 2015 7:40:03 AM]
[Sep 18, 2015 7:33:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread