Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 612 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
zangles
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
active but no activity and nothing for v7.6.11

Newbie since 1/4/2015. Since I started, I've tweaked preferences several times, updated BOINC and every so often what was working stops working. I installed v7.4.42 in early August 2015 and all seemed well until a week ago. "My Contribution" shows that I have not contributed anything since September 12, 2015 in spite of the fact that the Task tab shows eight (8) active tasks with different percentages completed each day and Remaining time increasing instead of decreasing. A few days ago, I quit BOINC, rebooted my computer, and tweaked preferences again. But today, I am totally confounded by the preferences. Perhaps I have lost the ability to understand English in terms of setting preferences but they had worked just fine for 6 to 8 months prior. I finally aborted one task that originally showed four hours that will now take another 12 hours. That's ridicules.

On the "Notices" tab, I see that a new version of BOINC v7.6.9 became available September 17, 2015. I reviewed the release notes at http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Release_Notes_for_BOINC_7.6 but it actually shows a date of 31 Aug 2015 for that version. No biggie there but from that wiki page, I click on the "download" link and it only shows version 7.6.11 (for Mac 64-bit). There are no release note about version 7.6.11.

I'd appreciate any help. TIA
[Sep 20, 2015 11:56:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
zangles
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: active but no activity and nothing for v7.6.11

Adding to the above post,

I just saw three tasks that each showed approximately 2:34:12 in the column "Remaining (estimated)" change to over 6:54:00 without me doing a thing.

Another issue is when I click the Download button at the top right corner of this web site (https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/ms/viewDownloadAgain.do), it shows the BOINC version will be 7.2.42 for "(Apple) Mac". Not sure why Apple is in parentheses. So the BOINC Manger Notice shows version 7.6.9 available while the actual "download" link on your wiki shows version 7.6.11 and there are not release notes for the latter. So, there are three versions and I wonder why I am confused.

Seems like I should just stop doing this so called contribution…Seems like there are plenty of users contributing.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by zangles at Sep 21, 2015 12:28:09 AM]
[Sep 21, 2015 12:16:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
lanbrown
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

On the WCG, what projects are you set to run or are all projects allowed? On the Result Status screen, does it list any returned WU's as invalid, error, etc? In the client, what do you have the CPU and memory settings set to?
[Sep 21, 2015 3:10:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
zangles
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks for responding, lanbrown!

I'm running two projects: Mapping Cancer Markers and Uncovering Genome Mysteries.

No invalid, error or otherwise on the Results Status page, however the page only lists 16 tasks that includes 8 that I aborted yesterday (9/20/2015) after I posted my problem.

Computing Preferences: processor usage

only Check box for While computer is in use
While processor usage is less than 60 percent. (I've tried 30 and 50%)
Hours: NO restriction
Switch between applications every 60.00 minutes (It used to be 120.00 minutes, which I think is the default.)
On multiprocessor systems, use at most 50.00% of the processors. (I used to have this as 0, so all 8 processors ran and I've tried 75% for 6 processors. In the last month or two or probably since BOINC 7.4.42 my computer heats up with all four fans running full blast. Activity monitor shows each task using 100% CPU.)
Use at most 75.00% of CPU time.

Computing Preferences: network usage

Minimum work buffer 0.50 days (I used to have this higher)
Mas additional work buffer 0.50 days (I used to have this higher)

Computing Preferences: disk and memory usage

Use at most 10.00 Gigabytes disk space
Leave at least 0.50 Gigabytes disk space free
Use at most 50.00% total disk space
Task checkpoint to disk at most every 60 seconds
Use at most 50.00% of page file

Use at most 50.00% when computer is in use
Use at most 75.00% when computer is idle

Note: NONE of the preferences tabs look anything like the one on the wiki
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Local_preferences in which the page was last modified on 10 September 2015, at 16:23.

Note 2: After I aborted 8 tasks yesterday, I quit BOINC and shut down that computer. Just rebooted to answer your questions and each of four task is using 100.5 to 100.7% CPU.

Note 3: A new tidbit... The fans have been blasting at over 4100rpm since I rebooted the computer a little while ago. Generally, I have the BOINC Manager open. I closed the window and the fans dropped down to 3300rpm. The fans on this particular computer normally run at 1999rpm

Any insights is appreciated.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by zangles at Sep 21, 2015 11:31:12 PM]
[Sep 21, 2015 11:12:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread