Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1434 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
DavidSalahi
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Unable to Install on Windows 10

SekeRob,
Thanks for the link. I got the right version and now it's working!
David
[Oct 13, 2015 5:25:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

Good, but nobody is getting any the wiser if you don't tell us what version / bit size you installed on your W10 (32 or 64 bit, Home, Premium, Pro?), so kindly feed back, so the community may learn from the experience.
[Oct 13, 2015 5:35:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DavidSalahi
Cruncher
Project Badges:

[Oct 14, 2015 4:58:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
eelizondo
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I went to the Berkley download site. The version they currently offer for Win 10-64bit is 7.6.22 of BOINC and 5.0.12 of Virtual Box. Downloaded and tried to install again with same results. Get message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable". Found the install software was searching a directory different than where it had been downloaded. Fixed that but got same error as in previous tries "Error 1796 - No valid source could be found for WorldCommunityGrid - BOINC for Windows,

The support team at World Community Grid told me previously it was a Microsoft problem. Maybe it is, but to me it looks otherwise from the behavior of the install software.

In the meantime I cannot run BOINC and I am ready to give up after all these years!
[Jan 17, 2016 6:34:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

""Error 1796 - No valid source could be found for WorldCommunityGrid - BOINC for Windows,"

I haven't run Windows in a while but that looks to me like an InstallShield error for a previous installation...

Have you tried running a registry cleaner or even manually (if you are well versed on the tool) delete all BOINC and WCG keys on regedit.exe? (better not since I don't want you to mess up your PC)

Do try the registry cleaner, maybe Auslogics Registry Cleaner Free or CCleaner.

Also, could you try downloading and installing the 32-bit BOINC version? Have a feeling that should work.
----------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Falconet at Jan 17, 2016 8:55:14 PM]
[Jan 17, 2016 6:46:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

Is that a copy-type error? "Error 1796 - No valid source could be found" on Google has zero hits, untraceable, but

"Error 1706. No valid source could be found"

is, so that is where to search for past solutions... use the old/original installer or use a registry cleaner solution. Short track to the Start Here FAQ index, then follow link to http://boincfaq.mundayweb.com/index.php?language=1&view=119

(My Windows 10 upgrade from W8.1 on test machine went without hitch [a blatant lie, major performance and stability issues], but BOINC continued without issues.)
[Jan 18, 2016 9:25:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread