Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 720 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
ravenigma
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Any Chance for Android?

I know that I and many other users of WCG employ Android devices as part of our crunching efforts. Is there any chance that CEP-P2 will ever employ that available horsepower or will it always be relegated to traditional PCs? I don't know the architecture of the code well enough, but it seems to me that taking advantage of ARM devices could add a great deal of productivity to the project. There are a great number of users who own many smartphones or Odroid devices specifically for distributed computing purposes. I recently just picked up one myself.

Thanks, and I'll continue participating as best I'm able given what I can use.
----------------------------------------

[Dec 8, 2015 1:32:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:
Re: Any Chance for Android?

well, no! 99,9999% it will never come up on any phone or pad...

CPUs & GPUs in pads & phones are just too weak for serious crunching which CEP2 is known for...
also, look at the FA@H (or FAH) which employed Androids in only 1 research phase (Vina, not Autodock)...so you have to have a light application to run on phones & pads! now, that FAHB has started it's been asked for Androids, but it's just not viable solution...

but if you want to help, use Androids for OET (till May, 2016)...it's a good research about not only Ebola virus...check more here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/oet1/overview.do
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Dec 8, 2015 6:46:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

Yeah, if there is 1 project that simply cannot run on Android devices in the current conditions, it is CEP2.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Dec 8, 2015 10:49:50 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ravenigma
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

but if you want to help, use Androids for OET (till May, 2016)...it's a good research about not only Ebola virus...check more here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/oet1/overview.do

Yeah, I just picked up an Odroid XU4 specifically for crunching. I plan to use it on OET (and any other projects for which it will work).

Thanks.

[Dec 9, 2015 1:36:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread