Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1477 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: 3 out of 5 CEP2 fail on my Mac

Here's another answer to your question (max_concurrent).
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jan 2, 2016 1:29:49 PM]
[Jan 2, 2016 1:28:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ca05065
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Here is an example of an app_config.xml which is stored in c:\program_data\boinc\projects\www.worldcommunitygrid.org

<app_config>
<app>
<name>cep2</name>
<max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
</app>
</app_config>
[Jan 2, 2016 2:52:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[AF>Le_Pommier] Jerome_C2005
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Great answers thanks a lot, I think the specific parameter (that I ignored) is perfect, I understand that the app_config is a more direct answer to my question but I think that the parameter is more than enough to effectively reduce the risk for that failure, it was set to 8 and I changed it to 2.

Thanks a lot for your answers and time.
----------------------------------------

[Jan 3, 2016 2:22:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

FWIW, I'm running two concurrent CEP2 WUs on my Windows 7 PC. I had a situation the other day, when they both started up within 15 seconds of each other (out of the luck of the draw). They were both hammering the hard drive at the same time during the first few minutes of the run, and my PC wasn't too happy about this. They both got validated, but got some "No heartbeats" when the WUs started. sad
[Jan 4, 2016 8:54:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Unfortunately this is a downside in contributing fo CEP2 and is well known among the crunchers. A way to exploit this situation is using RAM as HDD (e.g. mounting the BOINC data folder on RAM in Linux or mounting a RAM partition in Windows with SoftPerfect RAM Disk) but a lot of RAM is required. You can find some advices and information in the most recent topics of this forum. Otherwise there's a more difficult and less effective way consisting in the use of some parameters in app_config.xml file (or something similar, I'm not sure since I don't use it, sorry). But most of the crunchers decide to run only 1 WU at a time for this project to avoid the issue.
[Jan 6, 2016 9:11:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread