Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 135
Posts: 135   Pages: 14   [ Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 32281 times and has 134 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: WU Availability

I use fstab file to automatically mount BOINC data directory on RAM disk at startup in Linux Mint. On the same PC I have installed Linux and Windows OSes and when WUs started to flow again this morning I was on Windows, but I usually crunch for this project on Linux.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Apr 20, 2016 8:03:40 PM]
[Apr 20, 2016 7:58:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I understand that there is a beta happening, but do we have any firm answer as to when we will have new WU's available? This being my primary project, it's kind of frustrating to not have received a single WU in about a month

I've just received a bunch of regular WUs (E236513/6/9 and E236520/2) on a Windows machine so it seems it's now back to normal. Some of them contains Selenium (like the most recent before the break) and some doesn't.

Unfortunately one of them errored out almost immediately (maybe because I'm running more than one at a time, which is inadvisable): (unknown error) - exit code 195 (0xc3). The other ones instead are running.

Thanks, hopefully I receive a few soon. Also, personally I've run 4 CEP2 WU's at the same time with no problems beyond very rarely getting hung and unable to progess any further. But I've had the same problem with other projects just as much. Perhaps you were just using too many of your computers resources simultaneously?
[Apr 20, 2016 9:04:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have rarely faced errors while crunching some WUs simultaneously too: I think they were up to 7 at a time in that occasion and I recall having seen some pretty large ones in the past so maybe the errors were due to an extraordinary size of WUs, or maybe they were part of a faulty batch. There's a few possibilities.
Techs on the forum usually suggest to run one at a time to avoid any possible errors but there's certainly room for improving the number of simultaneous WUs for the ones willing to risk a little.

I usually don't use my notebook while crunching so I think that wasn't the cause. Unfortunately I have a pretty bad HDD so maybe it was the one to blame. Certainly a NB isn't the best fit for a tough project like CEP 2 (infact longer WUs, like the 35+ Carbon atoms ones, takes up to 10 hours to finish) but it has done a great job in some situations on this project and every PC is a case on its own, so everyone should go through a trial and error process to see which setting turns out being the best for him.

Happy crunching!

EDIT: fixed typos
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Apr 20, 2016 9:34:26 PM]
[Apr 20, 2016 9:25:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Yarensc
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

The errors from running multiple at once are usually caused by starting them all at the same time, because CEP WU's have to unzip a lot of files, which takes a while. When multiple of those unzips start back to back, it can cause some of the WU's to time out and crash (heartbeat not detected failure). So yes, you can run quite a few at once, you just need to stagger start them.
[Apr 21, 2016 10:09:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
erich56
Senior Cruncher
Austria
Project Badges:

so are there any WUs available now or not? In the profile for one of my PCs, I have put in only CEP_2; but not a single one downloaded so far :-(
[Apr 23, 2016 5:36:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I don't receive WUs anymore too, neither under Linux OS nor under Windows OS.

It would be great if this project had a Server status page too, like other ones which let us know how much work is available.
[Apr 23, 2016 6:22:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:

I don't receive WUs anymore too, neither under Linux OS nor under Windows OS.

It would be great if this project had a Server status page too, like other ones which let us know how much work is available.

This may give you an idea of work availability:
CEP2 Statistics History

[Apr 23, 2016 6:53:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

Or graphically

https://bit.ly/WCGCEP2
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SekeRob* at Apr 23, 2016 7:16:54 PM]
[Apr 23, 2016 7:16:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
erich56
Senior Cruncher
Austria
Project Badges:

CEP2 Statistics History

not really; what I get is:

Error
The application is unavailable at this time, please try again later.
Your action has resulted in an error.

sad sad sad
[Apr 23, 2016 7:53:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:

CEP2 Statistics History

not really; what I get is:

Error
The application is unavailable at this time, please try again later.
Your action has resulted in an error.

sad sad sad

Then try again later, as suggested.

[Apr 23, 2016 8:02:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 135   Pages: 14   [ Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread