Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 974 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Restart means wipe?

The Clean Energy Project is my most interested project for the WCG, so fixing this problem would be great for me.

Say I am crunching two tasks, one is Clean Energy, the other is something else. If they both reach any % when I turn the computer off, upon power on the other task will continue where it left off, but the Clean Energy task restarts. This would not be an issue if not for the fact that the tasks can take my computer up to 18 hours to complete.

If no solution can be reached, I'll have to stop contributing to the clean energy project and focus on others. Better to give some amount to other projects than nothing at all.
[Feb 2, 2016 8:33:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ca05065
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Restart means wipe?

There is a way around this problem which has been mentioned before.
I was running on a desktop i7-2600k running Windows 7.

Ensure that 'leave application in memory' is selected.
Do not shut down overnight but select 'sleep'. On a desktop this is a hybrid sleep/hibernate state. I found it necessary to leave mains power switched on to the computer causing a the power light to flash on and off.
In the morning just hit 'enter' and the computer resumes where it left off. This method works about 19 times out of 20.

Some users recommend suspending work units before putting into sleep mode and then resuming the work units after resuming the computer from sleep mode.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ca05065 at Feb 2, 2016 9:21:11 PM]
[Feb 2, 2016 9:17:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DuAel
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I have the same problem. Thanks for the tip ca05065, I will try that, but a real fix would be great !

WCG, please fix it !
[Feb 5, 2016 6:54:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Hi DuAel, unfortunately, sometimes, a fix, such as the one you're asking for (and also asked by many, many more previously), isn't always possible - as it really depends on the science.

Checkpointing is only possible via natural breaks in the processing of these WU's - and, in the case of CEP2, that can (unfortuately) mean very long periods of crunching without a natural break.

It's for this reason (and a few others - such as the very large files that need uploading, and the high disk usage this project creates), that this is an 'opt-in' project.

Hopefully the sleep/hibernate tip will allow you to continue participating in this very worthwhile project.

[Feb 5, 2016 1:57:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:

DuAel, this is not a glitch or error, so it cannot and will not be fixed. As gb009761 has said before me, this is a special project and there is a clear link describing the requirements right next to its name, so please make sure you're not just checking boxes for opting in, otherwise you end up in trouble or even ridiculed.

Cheers!
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world! - Albert Einstein

[Feb 5, 2016 2:42:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
m1cnd
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I've had the same problem with Windows updates rebooting my machine mid unit :-(
[Feb 13, 2016 10:31:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

That's why I've set W7/W10 to only apply patches when I say yes AND set to only to boot on my instruction [though it very sometimes is ignored, it seems when the WUpdate program itself is updated]. For W10 it took a little to figure out [forgotten already how it's done]... the arrogance of Microsoft as the whole W10 push has underscored the attitude... it's free, so swallow. No I want to keep my paid-for OS frustrated
[Feb 13, 2016 10:52:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

there is a clear link describing the requirements right next to its name, so please make sure you're not just checking boxes for opting in, otherwise you end up in trouble or even ridiculed.

The link only gave required computer specs from what I recall and the fact that the files were larger, not the lack of natural breaks. That should be included in my opinion.
[Mar 9, 2016 9:17:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

Footnote point 5 about LAIM for CEP2 could have a little expansion... "there's a maximum of N progress checkpoint saves, not evenly spread, during the longest allowed runtime".
[Mar 9, 2016 10:25:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread