Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1682 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Eric_Kaiser
Veteran Cruncher
Germany (Hessen)
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
RFC - Longer runtime

Dear all,
I would like to diskuss the possibility to prolongate the runtime beyond the 18 hours cutoff.
My experience with the other Projects (Help Stop TB and Fight Aids Home 2) is that we have runtimes beyond 20 hours and if I look at my AMD Kabini beyond 30 hours with no problem.

I would like to have the extended runtime for CEP2 too.
What do you think about it?
----------------------------------------

[Sep 12, 2016 8:49:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher
Re: RFC - Longer runtime

Not again plz, propose you add some links to prior posts/threads to your OP as a refresher. Try communication with the project owners... they've gone from exemplary to worst on the block. cool

(What does RFC mean? Not a commonly used moniker at WCG, but guess it's Request for comment.)
[Sep 12, 2016 9:04:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Crystal Pellet
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

(What does RFC mean? Not a commonly used moniker at WCG, but guess it's Request for comment.)

Request for Change, I think.

[Sep 12, 2016 10:11:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Eric_Kaiser
Veteran Cruncher
Germany (Hessen)
Project Badges:

Rob, you might point me to the thread you mean. I've gone back in history of threads more than a year and didn't found a thread that fits.
In the sticky threads is the announcement with the 18 hours but no real discussion about extending this maximum limit.
If such a discussion is boring you simply skip it.

[Sep 12, 2016 12:34:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

The big con I see is, how long it's acceptable for the first checkpoint to stay out and not enrage the participant who unsuspecting opts-in (flocks of JDI) and after 48-72 hours it goes Boom, gone (we know why there is no intermediate saving of a job/step). Opposed, both FAH2 and HST1 as longer running sciences have fairly good checkpointing frequency... little to mock over. The longer CEP2 ones are kept from the grid (if they can and presumed to be rerun in-house if too long and eventually hit on 'too late' after 4-5 grid copies failed attempts).

(This post got interrupted, because the main fuse went... donner-wetter, I let some audible french pass my lips, as I was unsure if I could reproduce what I wrote before ;)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SekeRob* at Sep 12, 2016 2:03:24 PM]
[Sep 12, 2016 2:01:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Eric_Kaiser
Veteran Cruncher
Germany (Hessen)
Project Badges:

Rob, that's a good point.
Maybe the techs can shed a little light on this based on their experience as they extended the maximum allowed runtime from 12 hours to 18 hours in the past.

One of my questions is how many wu have stopped in the past by reaching the 18 hours limit? Would it cut down the rate of kind of 'unsuccessfull' wu? Maybe 24 hours limit would do the trick?

[Sep 13, 2016 10:54:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
armstrdj
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

At this point there are no plans to extend the timeout. Once the project is back up and running full speed we will re-evaluate.
Thanks,
armstrdj
[Sep 15, 2016 5:07:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread