Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 93
Posts: 93   Pages: 10   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 24182 times and has 92 replies Next Thread
ccandido
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: climate change projects

Very interested in contributing to climate change projects!
----------------------------------------

[Feb 28, 2019 12:16:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
PabloMalaga
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Announcing three winning projects on climate change
26 Apr 2018

Almost a year of this publication and no idea when they are going to launch these projects? Why hurry to publish them?
[Feb 28, 2019 8:58:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hiimebm
Senior Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

As far as I know, the Linux binary is almost ready but they don't want to push Linux before Windows (which is still in testing) for said first project.

[Mar 1, 2019 2:07:41 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dark Angel
Veteran Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

Given that there are a number of people that exclusively run Linux, people with significant CPU power available to them, I have to question that logic.
Currently the delay is causing frustration amongst those waiting for the new work, in some cases enough to make them investigate other projects. Surely releasing the project when there is SOME work ready and bringing out the other client later is better than risking people lose interest while they dally around.

Currently being moderated under false pretences
[Mar 5, 2019 10:46:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

...Currently the delay is causing frustration amongst those waiting for the new work, in some cases enough to make them investigate other projects.

Count me as one... smile Since reaching a few sub-project milestones here, I've moved all my resources to other projects while waiting for the climate-related sub-projects to come online. I will eagerly move all my Linux resources back to WCG when Linux apps are made available.
[Mar 6, 2019 1:23:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I run mainly Linux, but can do Windows too. But I wonder how serious they are about addressing the issues of Global Warming if they are holding back. They don't want to upset the Windows people? There are bigger problems than that.
[Mar 6, 2019 5:00:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

20 (Twenty) months of We're Ready to Support Climate Change and Environmental Research
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,40144

A number of serious natural disasters have occurred since the announcement and President Trump is in the process of assembling an "It's not true", denier panel.

What's the wait for?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Mar 7, 2019 9:26:07 AM]
[Mar 6, 2019 6:07:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
caitilarkin
Former World Community Grid Admin
USA
Project Badges:

Hello everyone,

This launch has been the developers' number one priority since the project was announced. Their work has involved dealing with a research application that was not initially created for distributed computing, porting the code to Windows, and testing it on both Windows and Linux. Please see portions of jhindo's most recent updates below (emphasis mine).

We are still in the testing phase for the first of the three winning projects.

The research application for the project is very large in scale and wasn't built to run on Windows machines. In the process of porting the code to Windows, which is a significant undertaking, we've ran into several issues that we are working our way through. The tech team continues to be committed towards making the research application run on Windows, but because there is no supported Windows version, it is difficult to anticipate what other issues we may uncover as we continue testing. We therefore don't have a launch date yet.

Windows machines make up the majority of World Community Grid volunteer devices - we're keen to ensure the majority of our volunteers aren't excluded from participating in the project. Also, while the Linux build is performing well so far, there is additional testing we still need to do on Linux before we launch.

The project is our top priority and the tech team remains focused on launching as soon as we can! Thanks all for your continued patience.

There is no stalling or deliberate waiting on our part, or on the part of the researchers. The developers are heads-down dealing with issues in the research application for this project that were uncovered in the testing process, but are not necessarily related to just one platform.

The next update will be posted in the announcement thread along with the previous updates: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg...ad,40144_offset,70#604499
[Mar 6, 2019 7:32:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pvh513
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Given that there are a number of people that exclusively run Linux, people with significant CPU power available to them, I have to question that logic.

If they would release the linux binary now and continue to fix bugs on the windows side, they very likely would end up running a different version of the code on windows. My guess is that they want to avoid that as it would be a potential extra hurdle in comparing results from linux and windows machines. We'll just have to be patient.
[Mar 6, 2019 8:34:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
PecosRiverM
Veteran Cruncher
The Great State of Texas
Project Badges:

If I remember in the Past thinking

They have released a Linux and/or Win Only app until the other could be finish/fixed.

coffee
cowboy

[Mar 6, 2019 10:39:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 93   Pages: 10   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread