Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 40
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4132 times and has 39 replies Next Thread
adrianxw
Senior Cruncher
Denmark
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Work unit availibility.

It appears to me as if there is, at any time, a rather limited number of work units available. I have, fairly often, seen one or both of my machines without a work unit. At the same time, my systems could easily cope with two or more units per system, but never see more than one per machine.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by adrianxw at Jun 23, 2020 2:21:24 PM]
[Jun 23, 2020 11:09:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Work unit availibility.

At the same time, my systems could easily cope with two or more units per system, but never see more than one per machine.

I just started up two Ryzen 3900X (24 cores each, Ubuntu 18.04.4) on ARP yesterday, and they are both full of work. It seems that a lot of people have left for OPN.

I don't know about long-term availability yet, but if you can get only one per machine, there must be a problem with your settings. Or possibly you don't have enough memory; they take around 711 MB on my machines.
[Jun 23, 2020 3:01:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Psalm103
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Check your Project Limit settings. It's been a while, but as I recall the default limit for ARP is 1 WU per machine.
[Jun 23, 2020 3:53:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I currently have 690 in progress and every time one ends it downloads another. No problems of any kind with availability.
[Jun 23, 2020 4:03:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Work unit availability.

Check your Project Limit settings. It's been a while, but as I recall the default limit for ARP is 1 WU per machine.

Just manipulated a device profile, saved it to show an arbitrary 21 allowed, then opened it again and deleted the profile, killed the cookies, logged in and recreated the profile. Indeed the default for ARP1 is 1 and the rest are unlimited. Excellent catch.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 1, 2020 5:59:56 PM]
[Jun 23, 2020 4:47:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adrianxw
Senior Cruncher
Denmark
Project Badges:

I changed that figure from 1 to 2, I'll see if it helps.
[Jun 24, 2020 1:38:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I have found that it helps to limit the cores on ARP on the Ryzen 3900X to half (that is 12) of the cores, or the times grow from around 12 hours to 20 hours. I don't know what that means for my other machines yet.
[Jun 24, 2020 5:30:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adrianxw
Senior Cruncher
Denmark
Project Badges:

I bumped it to 2, worked okay, and have bumped it again, so it is now 3, and the 3 work units are running on both of my systems without any issues. I'll leave it there, at least for the time being. The run times vary quite wildly, but centre around mid teens.
[Jun 25, 2020 3:25:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike.Gibson
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

There are 2 problems with ARP. The first is the sheer size of the the units so the cores/threads are best restricted to half of total. The other is that units are released randomly.

If you run shorter duration units on the other half of the cores/threads, they will increase your frequency of reporting and therefore requesting new work for ARP as well. Your cache will fill up quite soon on that basis. This has been recorded a number of times on the other thread 'work avaiable'.

Mike
[Jun 28, 2020 7:08:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adrianxw
Senior Cruncher
Denmark
Project Badges:

The "problem" I was seeing is resolved. I was not used to seeing the work unit limit being used. I have changed it, and now often have several work units on each machine, rarely to the limit I have set, but certainly enough.
[Jun 28, 2020 11:06:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread