Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 947 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
vlado101
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
What is your opinion of Science United?

Hello fellow cruchers,

Just wondering how you guys felt about Science United (https://scienceunited.org/) and if you subscribe to it. I personally think it's a great idea, but the only thing that I did not like was that it would essentially mean all the points would be going for Science United when it does work for WCG. Do you think it would gain more popularity or do you think it is not necessary?

Thank you in advance.
----------------------------------------

[Nov 8, 2022 4:13:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bryn Mawr
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: What is your opinion of Science United?

Hello fellow cruchers,

Just wondering how you guys felt about Science United (https://scienceunited.org/) and if you subscribe to it. I personally think it's a great idea, but the only thing that I did not like was that it would essentially mean all the points would be going for Science United when it does work for WCG. Do you think it would gain more popularity or do you think it is not necessary?

Thank you in advance.

To me it’s a disaster.

Firstly is takes control away from the user and secondly it divorces the user from the community.

The second is important because those using SU tend to have more problems running Boinc due to the first and then find they have difficulties getting advice.
[Nov 8, 2022 6:17:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vlado101
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hi Bryn,

So for me I kinda understand why they went the route that they did. I am not going to say I am an early adopter, but I did start using BOINC since 2013 with WCG. For me I understand why someone would be a little bit intimidated about what projects to sign up for because you can't always tell by the name.

As for control for the user I will have to agree with that. But for me what I did like is that I can choose that I want to support all projects that are for health and not do work for math and science for example. I know that you can easily do that by removing said project from the boinc manager, but it is also nice that I can just say never do that work for new projects.

I would say that it is would be a benefit for different organizations that are trying to use boinc because they don't have to spend time trying to get the word out and instead can just add themselves to Science united under a project umbrella and still get the benefit of distributed computing. With the current boinc setting (where a user adds projects manually) I think that sometimes if people don't spend time looking for projects to support they might miss it.

I dunno, I see that there are issues with Science United, however I still think it is a good direction so that other universities do not have to spend time trying to get enough users to actually do the work. To me its kinda like WCG but on a more massive scale.

No ill will meant by my answer :)

[Nov 22, 2022 2:54:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bluestang
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Is that David Anderson's thing? He should be ashamed of himself anymore these past years what he has done IMO. He had a hand in killing off SETI, but opens his own Project up? Please!

He should concentrate on fixing the ongoing issues with BOINC that people have brought up for years first I think before worrying about his own self-interests.
[Nov 22, 2022 3:40:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread