Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Global Announcement Thread
Total posts in this thread: 160
Posts: 160   Pages: 16   [ Previous Page | 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 129825 times and has 159 replies Next Thread
Yavanius
Senior Cruncher
Antarctica
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: World Community Grid complete restart

There doesn't seem to be good place to post my thoughts where the power that be will see it, so this seems to be as good as it gets.

For some us, this project is more then just the credits. There are a lot of quiet folks for whom the research are topics that hit close to him. For me, it's cancer research and especially close to home, Childhood Cancer.

The communication comes in spurts and all seems reactive. The response to troubles to the mechanics behind the scenes seem reactive too. There doesn't seem to be a PROactive approach things.

Granted the project was inherited and IBM provided seemingly provided just another support to carry it over to Krembil and then went 'So long, good luck with the upgrades.' We're grateful that the research continues but we felt led to great expectations and ended up with great disappointments.

Time upon time again, there have suggestions and offers of help from the community. There's nodding of heads from the admin and then nothing occurs. At the least, you could have community moderators in the forums. The forums are a mess with no clear line of communications to Jurasicalab. Issues are scattered all over the forum and with no guiding force and lack of clear communications from the admin, it's a hunt to find out what's going on.

There was great hope for improved communications with the intern, but we have to wonder if they were empowered to do their job. It feels like they didn't have the power and/or were not provided with the information needed. I don't want to speak ill though especially as they head to hopefully new opportunities.

It's all very disheartening we think our systems are contributing to research that will make a positive difference but then work is missing, failing, not getting returned, or getting delivered. It doesn't seem like anybody is monitoring things. Doesn't anybody actually run the work themselves on the team and see how things are doing in that aspect? All we see are reactive messages so maybe that assessment is incorrect, but with no PROactive communications.

If you had some volunteers with a line to the teams behind the scenes, they could take up the burden. We are all a little mystified why you won't take advantage of that opportunity. As noted, many BOINC projects have volunteer moderators who have become quite knowledgeable about the projects and can stave off at least the common if not a good portion of the more uncommon questions and issues. SETI@home, the mother project survived on them for decades.

I suspect that many who haven't left are like me in that the only thing keeping them around is the opportunity to choose the research to contribute to. At best, you can set a preference for a research at other projects, but there's no guarantee you will get that research for your systems to work on.

There's such an amazing opportunity to grow the community here but people feel alienated. The same issues seem to continue to crop on and the response all seems reactive...

My two pence worth of thoughts...

Yavanius
[May 27, 2023 5:36:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Headcrash
Cruncher
Sweden
Project Badges:

I'm still feeling under the weather, so I won't write up a big reply. But I can only agree with what Yavanius wrote. I understand that being handed this huge of a project and get to grips with it all is hard and time consuming. But it's also powered by volunteers. People who spend time, effort and money on contributing to the project. If the project doesn't work, there is really nothing stopping its contributors form going elsewhere. Don't get me wrong; I love WCG, because the compute is going to actual research, rather than blindly looking for aliens or something.. But it starts to feel a little weird and somewhat annoying when it isn't running right, and there seems to be very little effort put into ironing the bugs out.

I'm a stubborn bastard though, so I'll keep trucking along.
----------------------------------------
My team: https://worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do
#world-community-grid on irc.libera.chat
SweatyCores Telegram chat: https://t.me/+w5dBY4z-0CM0N2M8

[May 27, 2023 5:55:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

If you had some volunteers with a line to the teams behind the scenes, they could take up the burden. We are all a little mystified why you won't take advantage of that opportunity. As noted, many BOINC projects have volunteer moderators who have become quite knowledgeable about the projects and can stave off at least the common if not a good portion of the more uncommon questions and issues. SETI@home, the mother project survived on them for decades.

There was a time when WCG had Community Advisors. They did provide some behind the scenes information and had some limited access to some information not available to the average volunteer. I always found them to be quite knowledgeable and up to date in their information. For whatever reason they were phased out at some point. The only one I can recall is David Autumns, but he only posts now very sporadically if at all. If he is still around, he may be able to shed more light on this subject.
Cheers
Edit:spelling
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sgt.Joe at May 27, 2023 8:40:14 PM]
[May 27, 2023 8:39:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

There was also Sekerob, JmBoullier and Jean Pierre. Possibly others that I don't remember now.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[May 28, 2023 8:13:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jayrope
Cruncher

It looks like they are sinking the ship.
[May 29, 2023 3:50:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

Well, until there are OPNG tasks available again, I'm not going to crunch anything. I'm not wasting expensive electricity on ineffective CPU tasks.

If the electricity price comes down to anything that's close to what I paid, before Vlad the Impaler went totally nuts, then I may consider running at least a few CPU tasks/day.

As I have said before, WCG is the only project I'm interested in, which means that all my computers are shut down now, except the one I use for other purposes.

If the team can't backfill the history list for what we crunched during the time when WCG came back, and up to when they restarted the statistics history, then at least they should sync WCG with the BOINC data.

I have 23,826,412 BOINC credits for WCG, and that translates to 166,784,884 WCG points, since 1 BOINC credit equals 7 WCG points.

As of now though, on my overview page, WCG only shows that I have 138,357,046 WCG points earned. So, it's high time to at least sync WCG with BOINC, until they maybe can backfill the internal DB with what we crunched when WCG was back, but not registered the stats internally. If that never happens, then WCG will lose more and more volunteers. It can't be rocket science, to at least sync WCG points with BOINC credits, even if they can't backfill the "history" details.

End of rant from Svíþjóð.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Grumpy Swede at May 30, 2023 2:00:44 PM]
[May 30, 2023 8:41:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hchc
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

@Grumpy Swede, Folding@home has a lot of GPU work, if that is your priority. They have very good medically-related projects and publish papers fairly frequently.
  • i3-8100 (Coffee Lake, 4C/4T) @ 3.6 GHz
  • i5-4590 (Haswell, 4C/4T) @ 3.3 GHz
  • E5800 (Wolfdale, 2C/2T) @ 3.2 GHz

[May 30, 2023 7:18:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hchc
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

@WCG

Is there any way that I can volunteer my IT expertise and tenacity to solve problems to WCG for free? I'm not in a position to contribute money since I left work to focus on some health issues, but I do have 10 or so years of experience in IT in a corporate/enterprise environment, and I do have 30+ years as a tech nerd, power user, and enthusiast.

I'd love to help in any way possible. I'm extremely stubborn and will beat issues into submission by obsessing over what exactly is wrong, and I'm good with documenting what exactly was wrong, how to prevent it in the future, and I specialize in automation.

I'm located in USA and I have zero criminal history. I will work for free but on a volunteer basis.
  • i3-8100 (Coffee Lake, 4C/4T) @ 3.6 GHz
  • i5-4590 (Haswell, 4C/4T) @ 3.3 GHz
  • E5800 (Wolfdale, 2C/2T) @ 3.2 GHz

[May 30, 2023 7:21:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TigerLily
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hi Yavanius,

Thank you for your dedication to WCG and your commitment to scientific research for the betterment of humanity.

The team is aware of the previous existence of community moderators for forums, and we understand that volunteers may have a desire to get involved with communications. We appreciate your input; however, we have found that having moderators from our communications team is currently the most effective way to maintain consistent communication between the WCG team and volunteers. We do realize that our temporary communications team is not an ideal state and we continue to work at fundraising and grant applications to bring some stability to this critical position.

Our team does its best with limited resources to investigate and resolve issues as they arise and to provide prompt updates for volunteers. We understand that technical issues can cause frustration and we appreciate your patience, as investigating and resolving these matters takes time. Our current technical staff is handling research and WCG back end and we always try to prioritize critical and essential tasks first, which inevitably sometimes delays our ability to resolve other issues.

TigerLily
[May 30, 2023 8:41:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike.Gibson
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

TigerLily

Congratulations on your first post and welcome.

Mike
[May 31, 2023 12:04:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 160   Pages: 16   [ Previous Page | 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread