Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 63
Posts: 63   Pages: 7   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3101 times and has 62 replies Next Thread
johncmacalister2010@gmail.com
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: No new tasks (WUs) available

I am working on Folding at Home - Cancer & Influenza smile
----------------------------------------

crunching, crunching, crunching.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-core Processor with Windows 11 64 Pro.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor with Windows 11 64 Pro (part time)

smile
[Mar 23, 2024 2:52:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Hmmmm yeah... I think, we need more android subprojects! crying
Doesn't make any sense at all.

What we NEED is the current project to work without constant new hitches!

It seems that working down the purging of old valid WUs is almost done, there could be some hope that things normalize (in a rational way) and hopefully stay that way.

I have the feeling somehow that that competition that is supposed to start on Monday might throw a wrench in the wheels of trying to move forward consistently.
But for now, it seems there is again a steady supply of MCM1 WUs and let's see what really happens with OPNG WUs on Monday or if the vultures descend from the skies and ruin it once again for all the rest...

Ralf

[Mar 24, 2024 1:38:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Rodionov Maksim
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hi all. After a recent failure, some computers began receiving tasks, but others did not. Does anyone know the reason?
[Mar 24, 2024 7:08:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Barnsley_Tatts
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hi all. After a recent failure, some computers began receiving tasks, but others did not. Does anyone know the reason?

There is only a very small amount of WUs being issued. It's been like this for days.

Hopefully the problems at Krembill will soon be rectified.

[Mar 24, 2024 8:42:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
voidcomp
Cruncher
Project Badges:

There is only a very small amount of WUs being issued. It's been like this for days

It's been a trickle .. if at all .. for weeks.
[Mar 24, 2024 2:13:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

I wonder how many of the folks not seeing a regular flow of work are falling foul of the unfortunate tendency of the BOINC client to assume that failure to get work implies a possible problem at the server end, so the next request is delayed, and if that also fails to get work the next delay is longer (and so on, up to a point where the delay is many hours!)

Given that [at present] there seem to be frequent periods of over an hour where no new work is being released, that could result in the client only happening to check in when there's no work so the client continues to assume it should delay...

I only mention this because I use a script to make sure that my clients ask for work at least 3 times an hour and I only see a fall-off in work supplied when no new work is created for several hours... The work is out there most of the time, it can just be quite hard to find it :-)

Cheers - Al.

P.S. I run short queues and have low per-application limits set in my device profiles, so if there's no new work for [say] 6 hours my cores will start to starve. Before the great assimilation backlog, this was only an issue if there was a genuine server problem such as "feeder not running" :-)
[Mar 24, 2024 4:27:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

There is only a very small amount of WUs being issued. It's been like this for days

It's been a trickle .. if at all .. for weeks.
It is really amazing how people just don't pay attention.

I am certainly not whitewashing what WCG does (censorship included), but it has clearly been explained that for a while, the issuing of new WUs would be slow as that interferes, at least resources wise, with the long overdue purging of valid WUs that had accumulated since late October 2023. This seems to have been finished some time on Saturday, and since then, also the number of newly issued MCM1 WUs has significantly increased. To the point that I can even see that the overall number of WUs in the Results page has been slowly increasing, both with WUs "In Progress" as well as "Waiting for Validation". Though I hope that the later number is not an indication of a new snafu.
Pretty much all hosts that I have checked since yesterday are getting plenty of new WUs after having slowly shed of the last WUs of backup projects that I have been running in the last few weeks. Some get new WCG WUs a bit faster than others, but it seems none of my hosts are anywhere near running dry right now. It might be worth mentioning that his is with all stock settings in the BOINC client, nothing has been "adjusted". Maybe all those people that are complaining still today have messed a bit too much with any settings...

Ralf

[Mar 24, 2024 4:29:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Spiderman
Advanced Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

I have 18-19 machines but had (2) Linux boxes (Debian v12) in particular that had run dry as far as WCG was concerned.

One hadn't seen a WU since 03/09 when I began turning-on the Backup Projects (but leaving WCG open). Sadly I noticed that machine had rolled-off the Device List on the website. I hope it returns after fixing it via the below...

--

To fix these two I allowed the Backup Projects to complete & placed on "No new tasks"; then removed WCG Project from the BOINC Client; rebooted the systems; changed the "Store at least x-days" to 0.2 under Computing Preferences; and told it to "Run Always" under the Activity menu to prevent any non-WCG site from messing with my preferences.

I then added WCG and waited as it re-downloaded all the *.PNG graphics like a new Project does.

After that, on the next Communication it picked-up 2-3 WU's. I increased the x-number of days back and so far (knock on wood), those (2) machines are running.

--

I had one Windows machine that aborted several WU's saying they were overdue, but still had 4-days to complete. That one stumped me, but I rebooted the system and it went back to working normally (though it still sent the aborted tasks back), so I assume that was a BOINC Client corruption issue.

--

Seems like each weekend I spend 1-2 hours managing these WU's on all my machines which is troubling since BOINC should be "set it and forget it"

73's...
[Mar 24, 2024 7:12:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

i have similar trouble with the Linux boxes, but I simply hit the update button and it seems to re-establish the query sequencing so after a bunch tries they eventually get some units, if some are available. Saves me from having to babysit them.

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Mar 25, 2024 12:29:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Maxime DUVINAGE
Cruncher
Project Badges:

On two of my twelve computers, tasks are absent, while on the remaining ten, each equipped with sixteen cores, numerous cores lie idle
[Mar 28, 2024 2:22:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 63   Pages: 7   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread