Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 48
Posts: 48   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3049 times and has 47 replies Next Thread
Unixchick
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: The Computation Moonshot starts today!

I read the original post article again.
"Current status: MCM - ready; OPN - ready; SCC - ready; ARP - in the process."

This says SCC is ready. Was there a problem? will SCC be added to the mix soon?

I'm really excited to have SCC back as I haven't gotten my year badge yet. My question is excitement, and not to be construed as bashing. If it is planned to come later, or there is an issue, inquiring minds want to know. oh ok... my mind wants to know.
[Mar 28, 2024 10:41:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

That's strange, wildhagen. I'm getting all the MCM1 tasks I need now, and I have been getting around 100 OPNG tasks so far today.

About the same. We are still short some MCM1 work, but improving. We have seen more OPNG work today sent at intervals.
Honestly, pretty much all my hosts are getting all the MCM1 WUs they can handle ever since the purging of those old valid ones finally succeeded.
EDIT: I have noticed that OPNG work tends to go out in big bunches around 1:00pm (EST) and starting at 1:00 today there was WAY more of these work units coming in groups of about 15 work units. Interested to see if it keeps up or slows down.
That was kind of an open secret that those OPNG WUs are being send out at certain times only. And it seems that overall, the availability of OPNG has indeed somewhat increased, with two hosts getting some 20-30 WUs over night, that got quickly returned and a short while ago, a 3rd hosts got another 50, which it is now trying to work on, though it is still during working hours, and thus won't return them quickly until the off-hours during the night.

But it seems to be still far from the "ready" amount that the initial post from WCG seemed to imply.
And no SCC nor ARP anywhere in sight.

But at least that what is being send out seems to be processed quite nicely right now, though the number of "pending validation" with about 25% of all results listed seems still a bit high. But at least it is not a runaway increase of WUs as it started back in October...

Ralf
----------------------------------------

[Mar 28, 2024 11:08:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wildhagen
Senior Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

It's getting better now, with a higher creation, and delivery rate of both MCM1 and OPNG. Still no sign of SCC work though.

I still get almost no MCM workunits on all my machines. Got a total of 30 workunits or so during the whole day, on my 16-core/32-thread machine. Half of them resends....

Got some OPNG but not more than 10-15 or so during the whole day.
That's strange, wildhagen. I'm getting all the MCM1 tasks I need now, and I have been getting around 100 OPNG tasks so far today.

Yeah, don't know why, but I still get almost no work.

This is wat my client looks like pretty much constantly:

So, only 3 cores are in use, the other 29 are idling....
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wildhagen at Mar 29, 2024 3:33:16 AM]
[Mar 29, 2024 3:31:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Boca Raton Community HS
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Can I ask what processor it is? If there are 32 threads and you have an estimated time for tasks around 50 minutes, then it is probably a fast CPU? This might be part of the reason. Do you get "bunches" of work (around 10 to 15), or are you returning one work unit and getting one back?
[Mar 29, 2024 4:12:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wildhagen
Senior Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Can I ask what processor it is? If there are 32 threads and you have an estimated time for tasks around 50 minutes, then it is probably a fast CPU? This might be part of the reason. Do you get "bunches" of work (around 10 to 15), or are you returning one work unit and getting one back?

It's AMD Ryzen 5950X 16-core/32 threads, running (with boost) at 3.9 Ghz. Not the newest generation (that would be the 7950X), bur still pretty fast indeed.

Mostly I received bunches of work indeed, varying from 5 to 15 Workunits. But sporadically I get only 1 or 2 WU's at a time when I report some back. Or nothing at all, as is the case now:

29-3-2024 05:21:02 | World Community Grid | Requesting new tasks for CPU and AMD/ATI GPU
29-3-2024 05:21:03 | World Community Grid | Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
29-3-2024 05:21:03 | World Community Grid | No tasks sent
29-3-2024 05:21:03 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for OpenPandemics - COVID 19
29-3-2024 05:21:03 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for OpenPandemics - COVID-19 - GPU
29-3-2024 05:21:03 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Africa Rainfall Project
29-3-2024 05:21:03 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Help Stop TB
29-3-2024 05:21:03 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Mapping Cancer Markers
29-3-2024 05:21:03 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Smash Childhood Cancer
29-3-2024 05:21:03 | World Community Grid | Project requested delay of 121 seconds
29-3-2024 05:22:04 | World Community Grid | Sending scheduler request: To fetch work.
29-3-2024 05:22:04 | World Community Grid | Requesting new tasks for CPU and AMD/ATI GPU
29-3-2024 05:22:05 | World Community Grid | Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks

I find this pretty annoying to be honest...
[Mar 29, 2024 4:58:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
movieman
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Computation Moonshot task availability has well and truly cratered sad
[Mar 30, 2024 4:06:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bluestang
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Pretty said this Moonshot has no way of looks at current standings and what is going on.

That would be discouraging for entered competitors (I know I would be) to not know about the contribution and work (if they can actually get any) they are doing and their status in the competition.

Lame as usual and this is why Disturbing Computing, and WCG especially, is losing many people's support by the day. People need feedback on what they are contributing to!
[Mar 30, 2024 6:20:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

This "Moonshot" competition looks more and more like another Apollo 13 disaster. crying

While on Friday morning, at least on my end, things looked kind of OK, at least as far as a steady supply of MCM1 WUs was concerned, only two of the promised OPNG WUs had come in. That then changed during the day and at least a couple of my hosts received more (up to 50) of the OPNG tasks, but at the same time the supply of MCM1 seemed to be slowly reducing.
By Friday evening (PST), while a bit over 100 OPNG WUs had made it back and forth, the first hosts seem to run low on MCM1 WUs, and by Saturday morning, most would have been running dry if I hadn't been able to turned on a backup project.
Beside the seemingly stop of MCM1, a few OPNG WUs still seemed to appear, here and there. But in return, the first signs of impending doom showed up, first noticeable by the nauseating progress bars on the Results page milling about more than normal (which had been fine for almost a week at that point) and now, on Saturday afternoon, it is back to rather frequent "Error 503 Service unavailable" messages on the various web pages of WCG, including this forum. Good chance, given that it is a long holiday weekend in Canada again due to Eastern, the web site will crash again completely before someone at WCG Towers gets to take a look at it.

Overall, it seems that WCG was once again set up for self-inflicted pain and utterly unprepared for trying to run such a competition. sad

Ralf

[Mar 30, 2024 11:02:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wildhagen
Senior Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Is there any news on the issue with very few workunits available? The situation is still very bad, almost no work here.

Yesterday and day before yesterday there were a fair number of OPNG workunits, but that too seem to have dried up completely.
[Apr 2, 2024 3:35:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

Yeah, no OPNG tasks here either, for quite a while. Back to the OPNG desert I'd say.

Edit: And all of a sudden, I'm almost drowning in OPNG tasks.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Grumpy Swede at Apr 2, 2024 6:06:23 PM]
[Apr 2, 2024 3:52:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 48   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread