Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 18
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2647 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Cancer project won't run om my MAC

stilll it's a little amusing that trimming it down to 750 MB ram probably did not make any more machines able to work smile

perhaps the trim was done to reduce possible interference with performance of computers that already have 1 GB ram ?

p.s. i added 512 more mb of used ram to one of mine, a small expense. purchased on ebay where you can find some very nice prices on this kind of stuff.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 19, 2006 1:54:35 AM]
[Aug 19, 2006 1:46:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Trimming to 750 allowed mine to work. I have 1 GB but the video steals about 150 MB which leaves 850 . I think a lot of machines advertised as 1 GB are in the same boat.
[Aug 19, 2006 4:08:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

just replaced a 512mb strips of the 2 with a 1gb bank....1.5gb.....very noticeable performance improvements......with the HDC you can tune your disk all u want, but in the end the swapping became intrusive, while other bread and butter work has to be done on this box.....a small investment for medical science to include the lowering of my hypertension blushing
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Aug 19, 2006 7:05:41 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I run an autorouter on one of my crunch boxes. The autorouter routes circuit traces on the printed circuit boards I design and it can be very CPU intensive on densely populated boards. The HDC units don't seem to slow the autorouter down at all. I considered upgrading the RAM in that machine but now I see no need.
[Aug 19, 2006 10:27:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Just to clear up some confusion:

The grid techs reduced the memory usage from over 1.2 gigabytes to a maximum of about 500 megabytes. The extra 250 megabytes in the minimum requirements is to prevent WCG from using ALL your memory. That would be a very bad thing. Even with these precautions, a few heavy memory users have noticed the impact of HDC's large memory footprint.

But do WCG care about cutting out all those computers with less than 750 MB? Not really. The grid has some fancy load balancing features, so work will always get done one way or another - it's just that HDC work units will always be done on machines with more memory. Is this tough on people who want to donate specifically to HDC? Perhaps. But the work will get done anyway, and if anyone is that bothered about it, then they can always upgrade.

To suggest that HDC uses too much memory is meaningless. Image processing has always used massive amounts of memory, and will continue to do so. Expect future grid projects to place ever-increasing demands on your hardware (this doesn't exclude the possibility of WCG occassionally getting a different kind of project with lower requirements - but don't count on it).
[Aug 19, 2006 5:45:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I'm certainly glad the techs backed off from the 1.2 gig memory usage. They must have realized that such a high spec would have severely limited the number of machines available to run the project.
Last year, I completed upgrading all of my pc's to 1 gig of RAM and added dedicated graphics cards where needed. It was a worthwhile project, making all of them capable of doing anything I choose. Since I don't play games or edit video, I figured I was good to go for the foreseeable future as far as machine capability went. Now, you more than suggest that even 1 gig of memory will not be enough before long to run grid projects. Well, I would have to say that, if and when that happens, I'll have to step out. Further upgrading to just 1.5 gigs per pc would mean a total cost of nearly $1,000 for me, twice that for 2 gigs per pc, and is an expense that cannot be justified as it is not needed for any other purpose. This is beyond any reasonable expectation for a 'volunteer' project of any kind.
I'm sure that I am not alone in this situation and I can only hope that the techs will keep this in mind when they write their programs in the future. I understand such work becomes ever more complex and demanding, but their are practical limitations that must be recognized. If they make these applications as demanding as the scientists want, then their available pool of computers to run those apps will be limited to a relative handful of volunteers and IBM's Blue Gene supercomputers, if/when available. And the smaller the user base, the longer it will take to complete a project.
[Aug 20, 2006 10:43:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

this just another

reason

why a mac

beside it looks sleek

it sjust a usless pice of metal:)

http://www.echoesofenoch.com/paralleldimensions.htm
[Sep 25, 2006 6:53:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

.... surely that was an echo from the paranormal ;>)
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Sep 25, 2006 8:13:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread