Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1567 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Run While Logged Off

Does the agent run when I am logged off. There are several computers in my office that would like to have the agent running on them, but each is logged off at the end of the day, but remain running. Will the agent continue to chug away? This would be the optimum time to run..all night.

What if it is installed under one user and another is on?
[Nov 16, 2004 5:16:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Run While Logged Off

Yes, you can run it without being logged on.

First, the free method:

The agent will crunch, but the send/receive functions generally will not work until someone logs on. There probably won't be a problem with that, since the agent doesn't need constant access to the internet.

To run the agent before log on do the following:

1. Create a new task in your task scheduler. When creating it, browse to the "C:\Program Files\WorldCommunityGrid" folder and select UD.exe. Click OPEN.

2. Select the "When My Computer Starts" radio button and click NEXT.

3. Enter the windows password associated with the log on. It helps if the user doing this has administrator privileges. Click NEXT.

4. Click the "Open advanced properties for this task when I click finish" box and make sure it's checked. Click FINISH.

5. In the next window, click the SETTINGS tab and uncheck the "Stop task if it runs for" box. Click OK.

6. Delete the World Community Grid Agent shortcut in your startup folder.

The agent will start when the computer boots up. If you log on with another user name, the icon in the task manager will not be visible, though. You can check to make sure that the agent is running by looking at your Task Manager and making sure that the WCGrid_Rosetta process is running.

Another method is to use Firedaemon to run the agent as a service. I can provide info on that if ayone wants, but it's a 30 day trial and then you have to buy it. (For those hard-core crunchers out there).

I hope this helps.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 16, 2004 6:57:23 PM]
[Nov 16, 2004 6:56:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[Nov 17, 2004 6:12:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
sad Re: Run While Logged Off

Hi everyone -

I followed the instructions given by Gromit, and have two things to add. One is that I think the task scheduling may not take effect until you re-boot your computer. So I'd add "reboot your computer" as step #7 to the instructions.

Second is a problem I've encountered now - and that is that the grid agent icon that use to be in the lower right of my task bar tray has disappeared now that I've gone through the task scheduling process. I am the only user of my PC and I have administrative authority. I tried to get the icon back in my tray by retreiving the grid agent icon from the trash and putting it back into my startup folder, and re-booting my computer. This didn't restore it.

I miss the icon in my task bar lower right tray, because clicking on it would take me to a box/page that displayed the accumulating CPU usage on my PC. I have searched and searched all over the worldcommunitygrid.org site and I haven't been able to find this same box/window.

Can anyone help with this? It doesn't seem to be quite like Gromit said, because the icon is missing from the task manager for ME, the only user! Gromit - can you help me? I am running windows 2000 by the way.

Thanks - Pen
[Nov 17, 2004 7:57:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I think it would be a great idea if someone would recode the agent to start up as a service, instead of having to jump through the hoops portrayed here. Please make this a priority for the next update of the agent. I'm sure a lot of users are running 2000 Pro or Server or XP Pro or Server and this would be highly beneficial. All of my computers are running 2000 Pro.
[Nov 18, 2004 11:12:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Gromit,

I'd be very interested in knowing how to configure the agent to run as a service via Firedaemon. Please explain.
[Nov 19, 2004 4:16:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I run XP pro, and I usually leave my comp on 24/7, but it is mostly in standby mode when I am not using it.....can WCG still be working if the comp is in standby (or even logged off, but with the comp still on?)
[Nov 19, 2004 6:31:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Computers don't do anything when they're in standby, otherwise, why would you put them in standby?
[Nov 19, 2004 5:09:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread