Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 46
Posts: 46   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7342 times and has 45 replies Next Thread
Greg Lyke
Advanced Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Influenza - Next one to finish ?

I ask, as I was just wondering if, with all these people flooding back to this project, as to whether we're close to/hitting the daily feed limit yet...

I haven't but then with the way I have things set up it almost never happens. When I saw that this was going to be ending in a month or so I decided to push for Ruby. Doing that I made this the exclusive project on the computer that is working on it & also unchecked the "send me other work if none is available" box. Then I bumped my cache size up from one day to two. I figured that with an extra day there to fill that there would be enough work coming in to always keep that computer busy (even if the level drops below two days there is always something in there when a work unit is finished). By not topping off the cache with other projects whenever there is room, the WCG servers usually drop a work unit or two of Influenza into the cache whenever the systems talk to each other.

[edit: Oooohh look at me, an Advanced Cruncher. You all may leave your congratulatory six-packs on the table as you exit the thread...]
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Greg Lyke at Sep 8, 2009 6:02:57 PM]
[Sep 8, 2009 6:00:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

I ask, as I was just wondering if, with all these people flooding back to this project, as to whether we're close to/hitting the daily feed limit yet...

I haven't but then with the way I have things set up it almost never happens.

Same here - although it could well happen when your computer's requesting more work and you just simply don't notice it by having such a buffer...

[Edit 1 times, last edit by gb009761 at Sep 8, 2009 6:24:52 PM]
[Sep 8, 2009 6:24:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Greg L
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Same here - although it could well happen when your computer's requesting more work and you just simply don't notice it by having such a buffer...

Right, I just meant that with things set up that way you're able to hopefully keep enough work in the queue that you wouldn't notice any work shortages.

If you really wanted to see if there were any shortages during that time you could check the message log for the "no work available/work committed to other platforms" message.

[edit: *snort* so much for the advanced cruncher label..... crying (I just changed my screen name a few minutes ago wink )]

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Greg L at Sep 8, 2009 6:49:55 PM]
[Sep 8, 2009 6:47:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Greg, I haven't seen the message in my Message Log - I was just wondering if anyone else had...

[Sep 8, 2009 7:22:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Somervillejudson@netscape.net
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I have not had any issues and doing solely Rice on 5 machines doing about 14-16 days crunching per calander day.
[Sep 8, 2009 11:29:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Steve WCG
Senior Cruncher

No shortage messages here ... one i7 crunching 48 FLU WUs per day + 1 lappy doing about 4 per day (just running over night). I *think* there are a bit more than 2 times as many per day as there was for CEP so I bet it is only being seen if you have all projects selected and count the percentage of each project type carefully ... you might notice that your overall distribution % may be dropping a little for FLU. Keep in mind that the WCG people have things in place to try and make sure that people who have a passion for a project (meaning they have only that project selected) get first dibs on WUs and the rest get parcelled out to the kind souls who fill the gaps left hanging around by us badge hunters who I believe only represent a very small minority of WCG crunchers overall biggrin
[Sep 8, 2009 11:53:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Just replaced a single core box with another quad... biggrin biggrin biggrin

I guess, my filled buffers should contain enough work to achive my sapphire. When I reached it, I'm out of here, so all others can take my "spare" WU's to improve their badges... wink

Happy crunchin' to all, and good luck for your badges! smile
[Sep 9, 2009 8:02:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Steve WCG
Senior Cruncher

Just replaced a single core box with another quad... biggrin biggrin biggrin
Excellent !!! It is always nice to see more cores being brought to the game applause Good luck (although it doesn't look like you need it) on completing your badge blue plate special.
[Sep 10, 2009 6:59:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
martin64
Senior Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

I've been watching the progress closely since I'm trying to go for sapphire. Based on the rate things are progressing on the series 8 work units I'm estimating all the new work for the series 8 project should be sent by Sept 16th.

Having had a look at the sequence numbers of the WUs, I would predict that if the pace goes on like in the last couple of days, series 9 starts on Monday next week, with all regular WUs sent out no later than September 25.

Unfortunately I have been caught by badge hunting fever. By far not as severely inected as most of the others here, but my goal is to reach my first "silver" with FLU. Will be hard to achieve, though blushing

Maybe there should be a new project on WCG, "Help cure badge hunting fever"? biggrin

Regards,
Martin

[Sep 11, 2009 9:51:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

That I'd vote for, given the monster was unleashed and each time we feed it, it grows so bad, that I'm seeing the wildest substantially off extrapolations by members who when doing so have evidently not read half of the posts gone before in the current and parallel threads.

In this case, uplinger, once more said he'd not put more in the daily hopper that feeds this monster. If the daily quota is done, it's done. Just look at CEP for the validation trend. Anyone meeting target will move the x-hairs at the next one, then the last new work date will slip.

my 2 cent take
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Sep 11, 2009 10:30:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 46   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread