Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5561
Posts: 5561   Pages: 557   [ Previous Page | 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 260550 times and has 5560 replies Next Thread
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Not sure how much longer they will be able to keep crunching in the UK

Hi Hypernova

I'm enjoying those Hi-Speed trains across Europe.

I'm now living in Brussels and I do not need a car

I walk out of my flat (Only one outside wall on one floor letting the fossil fuelled heat escape) across the road and there's a bendy bus as often as every 6 mins at peak. Which takes me straight to Brussels Central. Brussels has an excellent tram system, Brussels has an excellent Metro (underground)

10 journey's inside an hour (so that could be a bus a tram and a metro journey within that hour) 12.30€

10 Journey's on the Train I go to work on 17€

I did Koln to London St Pancras in under 5 Hours and never left the ground!

It's 2 Hours to Koln on the Thalys although they are improving the line North of Liege so it will be quicker in future and it's 1 hour 59 to London St Pancras from here!

It would take just as long to go from London to Birmingham as it does to go from London to Brussels

On my travels across Europe through work this year I can vouch for the fact that Napoli has an old underground system, some lines best not travelled worried, but it is there. Rome an excellent underground system, Athen's is very nice and Madrid is awesome - almost brand new. London's is prehistoric by comparison to Madrid. My Boss is always surprised there's rarely a taxi fair in my expenses.

I must take that trip to Paris one day.

No car since September 2008. Minimising my impact on the Planet wherever technically possible.

Dave

p.s. It's -6C outside and covered in snow (-7C overnight, 19.4F in old money) I'm using technology to work from home today, VPN Tunnels and the like, oh before I forget did I mention that Man Made Global Warming is bunk

Dave
----------------------------------------

[Feb 12, 2010 9:39:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

littlepeaks

Don't believe a word some of those names that Sekerob openly dismisses are true hero's holding Climate "science" up to the light so we can weigh the evidence (or lack of it) for ourselves

Where would we be without the McIntyre's of this world?

Not a nice thought

Keep on crunching while we still can

Dave

[Feb 12, 2010 9:53:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Where would we be without the McIntyre's of this world?

Without the the oil/gas/coal (etc) industries' deep pockets funding junk "science"? This from only a few minutes of searching:
[Robert C.] Balling has acknowledged that he had received $408,000 in research funding from the fossil fuel industry over the last decade (of which his University takes 50% for overhead). Contributors include ExxonMobil, the British Coal Corporation, Cyprus Minerals and OPEC.

In a September 24, 1993, sworn affidavit, Dr. [S. Fred] Singer stated that he had two meetings with Robert Balling in Pheonix for which his expenses were re-imbursed. Singer believed the the funding, which he received from Balling, originated from the Western Fuels Association.[19] Singer also admitted to working as a consultant on approximately half a dozen occasions for the Global Climate Coalition and that payments to him came either from the firm of John Shlaes, the coalition's director or the PR firm, E. Bruce Harrison, which worked for the coalition.[20] He also stated that he had undertaken consulting work on "perhaps a dozen or so" energy companies. This included work on behalf of oil companies, such as Exxon, Texaco, Arco, Shell, Sun, Unocal, the Electric Power Research Institute, Florida Power and the American Gas Association.

[Patrick J.] Michaels' firm does not disclose who its clients are, but leaked documents have revealed that several were power utilities which operate coal power stations. On a 2007 academic CV, Michaels disclosed that prior to creating his firm he had received funding from the Edison Electric Institute and the Western Fuels Association. He has also been a frequent speaker with leading coal and energy companies as well as coal and other industry lobby groups

Richard S. Courtney is a Technical Editor for CoalTrans International (journal of the international coal trading industry) who lives in Epsom, Surrey (UK). [1] In the early 1990s Courtney was a Senior Material Scientist of the National Coal Board (also known as British Coal) and a Science and Technology spokesman of the British Association of Colliery Management.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Feb 12, 2010 2:53:02 PM]
[Feb 12, 2010 2:43:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Just mentioned the most mind-numbing types and entirely unsure how Dr Roy Spencer or Dr. John Christy would feel about having been listed amongst that assortment... bad reflection on the profession.

Now Dr. Roy is definitely a fav. of mine because his data matches the data quite closely of Dr. Hansen [not in that list] who does the equivalent sat reading published [RSS], and when one plays with Fourier, Slowess filters, linear regression and whatnot we/me comes up with this little gem:

Put a little black circle left bottom and a grey halo right top, but the star is a 38 month moving average, the yellow line and dips, but its up again, way ahead of the suns cycle 24 kick-in. We know down here in the Med what ENSO teleconnection does to the climate. There is this odd ~7 year flux... up a bit, flat, down a bit, more up, flat, down a bit, and up it goes again, but the flats always on a higher plain. This cycle is totally and utterly divorced from the solar cycle and low/behold even when the sun remained century record low for 2 years, it continued.

The Monckton's and Ball's would need a transplant to see it, but I'm sure David Authumns can... admit it, no cooling anywhere, not even in the most snow whitest dreams.

Wait until HADCRU is done with auditing if there data was tempered/tampered with after the UEA break-in, for then the below chart, made in the UK, will show the full 12 months of 2009, and it's not the sun.

Here my expectation, 7 years gone since the extreme months long heatwave of 2003 that caused the loss of 40 centimeters of Mediterranean sea level, that never returned in full since. 2010 will be scorching hot. That's what I expect, and then it will be reported as the weather at the beginning of a new decade.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Feb 12, 2010 3:39:57 PM]
[Feb 12, 2010 3:37:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Eso and Sek be very very careful about bandying around claims of Junk Science in this thread.

In light of current in progress investigations, if I were you, I would keep very quiet.

People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Dave

[Feb 12, 2010 8:14:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

Eso and Sek be very very careful about bandying around claims of Junk Science in this thread.

In light of current in progress investigations, if I were you, I would keep very quiet.

People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Dave

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/people...stones-20100210-ns83.html

People who don't want to live in glass houses should throw stones February 11, 2010
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Feb 13, 2010 1:40:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

retsof you really ought to read my posts from beginning to end

Have a read of my "I have only one outside wall on one floor allowing my fossil fuelled heat to escape" post again

All the rest of my warmth is warming the next door neighbours and vice versa to both sides, below and above.

and then read your link again

and then read my post again

....so that's no car and no air-con - why would I need air-con when the outside temperature hasn't been above -1C for at least 3 days biggrin

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EBBR.html

Luckily my Samsung N-110 Atom Cruncher (2.5W TDP) is tepidly warm on my lap - which is much appreciated.

Right it's Saturday so it's back under the duvet - plenty of togs wink

Dave

[Feb 13, 2010 8:01:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Dont see much Blackness on the bottom of your feet David. smile

I've had thick insulating boards fixed to the outide walls here and the whole lot fire proofed plastered then pebble dashed. My loft space is well insulated and I even had insulating boards put underneath the tiles of the roof. Every light bulb in the house is low energy and has been for years. Glazing is good. Heating is efficient. I make my own compost and grow a lot of my own food. I recycle everything I can. I walk when it is daft to take the car. I like walking anyway. I dont eat cows. etc, etc, etc.

None of this is because of some fad, or in response to junk science from the IPCC. It is because these are sensible things to do.

I'm still a bad person though it would seem, if I dont follow the herd.

The less well off all over the world are suffering based on the decisions taken due to all of this global warming hype.

Visitors later, then off to see my local football team win again (I hope).
[Feb 13, 2010 10:53:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Top Man Whl.

I've just dragged myself from under the covers

and now for the serious stuff

http://www.cce-review.org/About.php

One reviewer has already abandoned ship and there are calls for another one to consider his position

http://news.scotsman.com/news/Senior-Scots-scientist-in-climate.6069702.jp

I've seen those emails and nothing good will come out of this review for Climate Science.

[Feb 13, 2010 11:35:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

and now to pop downstairs into the basement where the glass, the paper and the carton's tin's and plastic's recycling bins live right alongside the communal garage where I don't have a car

Finally treated myself to one of these

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetai...11=&f12=True&f13=

I need to get back on my horse, I have taken quite a pummelling over the last few years.

So I'm going to find out how much you can do with less. I'll set up a new green computing challenge thread once I have gathered all of the bits together - don't hold your breath though....it might be a while.

I have just the CPU and Mobo on their way

Dave

[Edit 1 times, last edit by David Autumns at Feb 13, 2010 1:43:53 PM]
[Feb 13, 2010 1:12:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 5561   Pages: 557   [ Previous Page | 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread