Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2370
Posts: 2370   Pages: 237   [ Previous Page | 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 303593 times and has 2369 replies Next Thread
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: New thread for It's raining Dengue, Hallelujah!...

Howdy gang... Not sure if it's been discussed in this thread, but how do DDDT2 WUs make their way to crunchers? I have always had DDDT2 selected and when this project became active again (end of Nov), I said to myself "Oh boy, this is great". At that time, I received one WU (with no changes to any of my selected projects). Since then, I have received zip. I have tried to force it by only selecting DDDT2 in my projects. No luck. I tried a suggestion to uncheck 'If there is no work available ...'. No good. Everytime I try to force getting a DDDT2 WU, I end up with another WU from a project that wasn't selected.
So... (me being curious and what not), how are crunchers being selected for DDDT2 WUs? I have plenty of projects to crunch on (and many targets to chase after), but I wondering why DDDT2 doesn't behave like other projects.

Thanks,
CJSL
----------------------------------------
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Dec 17, 2011 1:17:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

quick response cislman

this is a unique project and yes its explained fully but here is quick

A work units (ps) BIG LARGE work units... once these are done scientists have to manually go through them then they release 2 type B's (pe and se) for each type A these are much smaller run times... once they are crunched they create the type C work units (pq pd pr pc pl sq sd sr) there are about 250-350 type c for every type b.

why this project is so different is that scientist manually have to go through the work units from type a prior to type b being made and again through the type B before the type C can be made... this last "rain" was type B's so soon we are hoping to get type c's... when these show up you will be able to get some actual decent number of work units.

being there are so few type A and type B when they show up they normally get sucked up by crunchers who specifically hunt for them so people who are in the general mix of work units rarely get them (kinda like beta work units) so when the type c's show up the people crunching hard for these will put out there buckets and grab tons of them.... and this is your best way to grab them.

[Dec 17, 2011 2:13:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AgrFan
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

This project goes through long periods of no work. Now is one of those times ...
Keep watching this thread for posts from the techs announcing new work will soon be available.
When you see these posts, select DDDT-2 only, uncheck "If there's no work available ..." and set your cache to 1.5 days.
The A/B units are a bit more difficult to get since there are not many of them released at one time. When the C units come you will not have any problems getting work.
It helps to run your clients 24/7 to have a greater chance of getting work when it's available.
I have been able to get work with no problems using this method.
Patience is the key ...
[Dec 17, 2011 2:41:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

Nasher & AgrFan... thanks for the excellent explanations and suggestions... it now makes sense. I'm not in any rush to gobble up DDDT2 WUs... I have more than enough projects to chase after... I was just curious why I was seeing a very different behavior than other projects. I also have a sorta personal interest, since I live in country where various types of Dengue are common during the rainy season and affect the general population.

Dengue in Mexico

I agree... patience is very important and understanding this project's behavior will greatly help.

Again, thanks for making this clear and I'll keep an eye open for those type C WUs.

CJSL
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cjslman at Dec 17, 2011 3:21:28 PM]
[Dec 17, 2011 3:19:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

CJSL, the only oddity remaining in your query is this:
I have tried to force it by only selecting DDDT2 in my projects. No luck. I tried a suggestion to uncheck 'If there is no work available ...'. No good. Everytime I try to force getting a DDDT2 WU, I end up with another WU from a project that wasn't selected.
Having only DDDT2 selected and unticking 'If there is no work available ...' should result in either some DDDT2 downloads if any are available at that instant, or no download at all (with the message log confirming that). If you've used the Device Manager webpage to choose projects in a profile, that overrides (for that profile) what was previously set in the My Projects webpage. Could that have been the reason for downloading "another WU from a project that wasn't selected"?
[Dec 17, 2011 4:14:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Sometimes it takes a little before a profile change messages reaches the scheduler... if servers are busy.

Every time the "My Projects" page is saved all location profiles are overwritten for the project selection part.

BTW, A-Type only go to reliable devices [< 2 day return time and very low ''Invalid'' rate]... running cache > e.g. 2.5 days and then change science selection, then pumping cache further will lead to programmed disappointed. B/C Type go to all devices that happen to be there, right place, right time and meeting System Requirement specs.

The project scientist posted she was working on dg03 B_Types, so expecting both B and C-Type (latter off dg05) in the not too distant future.

--//--

P.S. Sure I remember bbover3 agreed few years ago to change My Projects to "My Researches" or "My Sciences". The confusion at times perpetuates about the convention... WCG being a "Project" in the BOINC Manager, people actually trying at times to find how to attach to DDDT2 or another science ;>)
[Dec 17, 2011 4:39:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

I used "My Project" page to select the projects.... now that I think about it, when the "If there is no work available ... " option was unchecked, the WUs dried up (but I still didn't get any DDDT2 WUs). I'm pretty sure that when I received "other project WUs that weren't selected" was when I ONLY had the DDDT2 project selected (sorry for any confusion) tongue .

I'll patiently wait for type B/C WUs...

Thanks for the explanations

CJSL
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Dec 17, 2011 9:59:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike.Gibson
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

What we don't want to happen is for you not to have any work to crunch. I find the best way to ensure that you gat Dengue when then are available is to set your cache to 10 days and then enable Denque and a couple of others only. Download a few days of the others (less than 10) and reset to Dengue only.

It will then look for Dengue after 15 mins, then 30 mins, then an hour, then 3 hours, etc (or thereabouts) without you having to do anything. Every time you finish one of the others, WCG will look for a Dengue for you. It will also reset back to 15 mins, etc.

Before you run out of work, set those other projects again, get some work from them and reset to Dengue only, etc.

Mike
[Dec 18, 2011 9:56:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rembertw
Senior Cruncher
Belgium
Project Badges:

Everytime there's a new reply in this thread I think it's the announcement that new wus are on their way.

Nothing special to say, just a tease.

biggrin
[Dec 29, 2011 9:25:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rilian
Veteran Cruncher
Ukraine - we rule!
Project Badges:

BMUP!!!!
[Dec 29, 2011 11:02:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 2370   Pages: 237   [ Previous Page | 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread