Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1113 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: GPUs available

It's also important what case you have and the case fans.

Mine has six fans (not counting the psu fan and liquid cooled cpu) and is ultra quiet for example.

Either liquid cooling or a one of those large cpus fans for gaming helps wonders in keeping cpu temps down.
[Dec 18, 2011 5:52:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Dieter, I already heat my basement with my machines. The problem is that in that small basement room I have also other stuff and I cannot have a too high average temp in that place. If I could empty that place and have only machines then yes I could do much better. In summer time I have to switch off many units unfortunately.
Perhaps an opportunity to drag a relic of the past back into use by cutting a hole in the floor above that basement room and putting a decorative register/vent on the higher floor to walk upon.

That used to be common before the advent of forced air and the various radiant home heating systems; the idea is you depend upon the stack/"chimney" effect (hot air being more buoyant than cold). A matter of ensuring the register is large enough for cold air return and/or some other path exists such as an open interior door to the basement. Think fireplace design.
[Dec 18, 2011 10:07:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I use my GPUs (dedicated Nvidia GT 240, GTS 450 and GTS 550 Ti) for Folding@home, while the CPUs (a quad core and a dual core) run WCG. There is no problem with interaction between them at all. But I reserve one GT 240 for driving my display, since there can be some lag if you try to fold on it also. The Folding people are working to fix that in a later version of the cores.
[Dec 19, 2011 12:53:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread