Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 254
Posts: 254   Pages: 26   [ Previous Page | 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 80515 times and has 253 replies Next Thread
mmstick
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Graphics Card Performance

WCG HCC app is about 10% efficient from what I have seen. My GPU has 5 TFLOPS of peak throughput, other projects may better utilize this 5 Tflops and give me higher points, but HCC on average for me returns about 500 GFLOPS worth of points. I would mark this up to either better software with GPUGrid, or simply our GPU architecture is not as efficient in this project.

You're comparing apples and oranges. GPUGrid uses CUDA which is specifically for the Nvidia architecture. That's why GPUGrid is an Nvidia only project. WCG uses OpenCl which can be run on either ATI or Nvidia.

We aren't talking about middlemen like CUDA or OpenCL. We are talking about Real Performance VS. Max Potential Performance. This is a level of testing to see how efficient a GPU architecture is, or even how efficient your software implementation is. Better designed code can lead to better real performance. If your GPU is performing worse in OpenCL than in CUDA, there is a software problem in your coding, or there is a problem with the OpenCL driver with your graphics card. In this case, the problem lies with NVIDIA offering poor OpenCL support with their drivers, while AMD is in the lead with a more efficient driver.

CUDA and OpenCL are software methods that open the door to achieving this performance, but different projects will perform differently on different architectures, so you cannot get 100% potential in the real world. Better designed code, however, can get closer to the max potential of a graphics card. Math projects are simple, easy to code, and reach near max potential easily, but a project like this is more complicated. As it stands, you can count the FLOPS rating based on how fast you can complete a number of work units, which the current rate on my 5 TFLOP machine is 500GFLOPS worth of computations, a 10% level of efficiency. No doubt, this project was hard to code, and in the end, there are still some major dependencies that are being run on the CPU instead of the GPU, which hurts the overall production rate.

If you want to find out how well a project is utilizing your system, divide your average work value in BOINC manager by 200, to know how many GFLOPS are going into that project. For me, that is 100,000, or 500 GFLOPS average.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mmstick at Nov 12, 2012 9:40:15 PM]
[Nov 12, 2012 9:36:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:

I have a GTX 580 that is rated at 1600 GFlops peak.
I can pull out about 280 GFlops.

That is about 17.5%. Still a lot of room for improvement.

[Nov 19, 2012 11:57:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

WCG HCC app is about 10% efficient from what I have seen. My GPU has 5 TFLOPS of peak throughput, other projects may better utilize this 5 Tflops and give me higher points, but HCC on average for me returns about 500 GFLOPS worth of points. I would mark this up to either better software with GPUGrid, or simply our GPU architecture is not as efficient in this project.

You're comparing apples and oranges. GPUGrid uses CUDA which is specifically for the Nvidia architecture. That's why GPUGrid is an Nvidia only project. WCG uses OpenCl which can be run on either ATI or Nvidia.

We aren't talking about middlemen like CUDA or OpenCL. We are talking about Real Performance VS. Max Potential Performance. This is a level of testing to see how efficient a GPU architecture is, or even how efficient your software implementation is. Better designed code can lead to better real performance. If your GPU is performing worse in OpenCL than in CUDA, there is a software problem in your coding, or there is a problem with the OpenCL driver with your graphics card. In this case, the problem lies with NVIDIA offering poor OpenCL support with their drivers, while AMD is in the lead with a more efficient driver.

CUDA and OpenCL are software methods that open the door to achieving this performance, but different projects will perform differently on different architectures, so you cannot get 100% potential in the real world. Better designed code, however, can get closer to the max potential of a graphics card. Math projects are simple, easy to code, and reach near max potential easily, but a project like this is more complicated. As it stands, you can count the FLOPS rating based on how fast you can complete a number of work units, which the current rate on my 5 TFLOP machine is 500GFLOPS worth of computations, a 10% level of efficiency. No doubt, this project was hard to code, and in the end, there are still some major dependencies that are being run on the CPU instead of the GPU, which hurts the overall production rate.

If you want to find out how well a project is utilizing your system, divide your average work value in BOINC manager by 200, to know how many GFLOPS are going into that project. For me, that is 100,000, or 500 GFLOPS average.

That was an overwinded discertation ofabsolute nothing! Sorry, as I respect all your posts as a rule. I can also grab stats from equip that would prove all incorrect. STATS bite. Every machine is different, based on so many things. Post as IMO, no prob.
[Nov 20, 2012 8:59:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

PS. Opencl should be capable of running CUDA. If it's not been implemented in AMD card projects.... Might be a reason (IMO).
NV built itself around cuda, AMD/ATi chose Opencl.
NV CAN do Opencl, AMD/ATI chose not to engineer that into their cards!!!!! Who screwed up?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 20, 2012 9:09:15 PM]
[Nov 20, 2012 9:06:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

NV CAN do Opencl, AMD/ATI chose not to engineer that into their cards!!!!! Who screwed up?

Nvidia
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Nov 21, 2012 1:21:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Opencl should be capable of running CUDA.
Conceivably, yes. One thing is, who would go that route? CUDA is made by Nvidia and reserved only for Nvidia cards. CUDA is as exclusive to Nvidia as what the full and maximum extent of what 'exclusive' means, and as proprietary to Nvidia as what Nvidia exactly wants CUDA to be. OpenCL goes against the grain of what CUDA stands for and vice-verza.
;
[Nov 21, 2012 3:19:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
X1900AIW
Cruncher
GTX 465 vs. GTX 650TI

Example about real performance, GTX 465 vs. GTX 650TI, both slightly oced by vendor:
- EVGA superclocked vs. MSI power edition/OC
- June 2010 vs. Oct. 2012
- GF100 vs. GK106
- 352 vs. 768 Shaders
- 1250 vs. 993 Mhz Shader Clock
- 625 vs. 993 Mhz GPU clock
- 810 vs. 1350 Mhz Memory Clock
- 256 vs. 128 Bit Bus width
- 200 vs. 110 W TDP
- 70-80 vs. 40-45 degrees temperature @crunching
- 2300 vs. 1100 rpm GPU cooling fan
- 109 vs. 52 Watts real difference comsumption (Idle > 1xGPU/1xCPU HCC1)
(- 189 vs. 132 Watts comsumption 1GPU-system (BOINC 7xCPU HCC + 1GPU/1xCPU HCC1; undervolting GTX 465@0,900V >165 Watts))
(- missing: no undervolting GTX 650 TI unless valid results)

Both installed in the same system (Slot 1+2 means device 0+1; sharing > PCIe X8, Version 2.0 vs. 3.0 should not show any effect), running simultaneously, same conditions (software, driver, CPU Clock i7-3770K@4,0 Ghz / offset -0.175V). Screen is connected with iGPU (HD 4000), Nvidia 309.97, Win7/64, Z77X-Board/PCIe 3.0 . No modifications with app_info, but cc_config: <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus> for make them running, 260-265 watts peak system consumption with both cards @BOINC.

With HCC1 the new GTX 650 TI takes nearly the double time for the same job, Screenshot with 3xGPU-Z, GTX 465 vs. GTX 650TI calculating 1x workunit HCC1/7.05:
- 15 vs. 8 finished results (Screenshot selected results )
- 7-8 vs. 14-15 minutes
each result

In the end, GTX 465 is huge faster, GTX 650 TI runs without any noise (tested it before), that was expected, phantastic cooling made by MSI. applause Performance of the new GTX is unexpected low, explanation ? confused The GTX 650 Ti should work better in GPUgrid or other DC jobs.

P.S. Link for comparison GTX 465 vs. GTX 650TI according CLBenchmark
[Nov 21, 2012 12:57:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:
Re: GTX 465 vs. GTX 650TI

The 4xx series and 5xx are better than the 6xx series at crunching at WCG for sure.

[Nov 21, 2012 7:07:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I'm guessing the 7900 is the 7970 and the 79x0 is the 7950? Is the "AMD Radeon HD 7700 series (Cape Verde) 690 90 180" result confirmed?

PS: OpenCL is the thing to go for, both sides can do it and as I recall it works without getting down to the nitty gritty of micromanaging how the gpu will perform the task, so the coding department can focus on coding what the task is. Atleast that is what I got from a presentation about the newest OpenCL features a few weeks back.

Even though OpenCl can be used on both GPUs, here's the thing:

If you want a complex task to be worked on, it tends to be better to use CUDA. Especially since when you code with CUDA, you usually get the help of NVIDIA to help along the way where necessary.

If you have a simple task, use OpenCl. Just dont expect much help from AMD/ATI or anyone besides a OpenCl programmer and the like.
[Nov 21, 2012 8:04:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BladeD
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

PS. Opencl should be capable of running CUDA. If it's not been implemented in AMD card projects.... Might be a reason (IMO).

Because NV owns CUDA. Projects go the OpenCL route because their code will run on both NV and AMD.
[Nov 21, 2012 8:06:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 254   Pages: 26   [ Previous Page | 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread