Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1398 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
AVG going bonkers!

After the latest update AVG has started to massacre WCG files, moving them to the virus vault and causing the WU's to fail, mainlt DSFL....anyone else seeing problems?
[Oct 20, 2012 4:52:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:
Re: AVG going bonkers!

Although I don't use AVG myself, isn't there some way you can exclude the BOINC directory from being scanned?
----------------------------------------

[Oct 20, 2012 7:43:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have googled around and it seems the latest version- AVG 2013, is causing chaos all round with lots and lots of complaints. So it is now uninstalled.
Anyone know of an equally good free anti-virus? I have put Avira in at the moment until I decide what to do.....
[Oct 20, 2012 8:29:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

Avast is pretty great and lightweight

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Oct 20, 2012 8:37:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks, I will check it out biggrin
[Oct 20, 2012 8:46:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Have installed Avast so will let you know if anything happens.... biggrin
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Oct 21, 2012 5:45:55 AM]
[Oct 21, 2012 5:45:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
toss
Senior Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

I threw out AVG some time ago after it became too bloated.

Been using MSE since and seems to go very well. No clashes with WCG from it over several machines.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials
[Oct 21, 2012 8:17:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have put MSE on another laptop so I will be able to compare the two wink
[Oct 21, 2012 12:22:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikey
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

After the latest update AVG has started to massacre WCG files, moving them to the virus vault and causing the WU's to fail, mainlt DSFL....anyone else seeing problems?

There IS a way to exclude the Boinc directory from scanning and that will solve your problems. IF you have a REAL virus it will certainly try to spread beyond the Boinc directory and AVG will then catch it, IF as is most likely with AVG AGAIN are being TOO sensitive to Boinc and its activities and it is a 'false positive' then it will be ignored. After all to be brutally honest if Boinc has a virus and ONLY sends it between my pc and the Servers, I don't care. IF and WHEN it spreads out to infect the rest of my pc I OBVIOUSLY CARE!! AVG has had this 'false positive' issue in the past as have other a/v programs.

[Oct 21, 2012 12:40:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I also do not give a toss with false positives, I have had them before and ignored them but........this new AVG is a LOT different from the old. when it first did it I 'excluded' WCG from the detection, it is NOT a scan, the new AVG says it is an identity theft, that made not difference, it did it again, I excluded, it did it again ......I uninstalled. AVG was noving files into the vault, WCG could not find them and errored the WU, I lost nearly 100 errored out!

No way am I trying anything more with AVG. Avast seems to do the job just as well as the 'old' AVG. biggrin
[Oct 21, 2012 1:00:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread