Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 761 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Can a 7950 play with a 7870?

Sorry, started a new thread as question was going unnoticed in off topic questions while answering other threads. Not a biggie.

Ready to push the New Egg buy button today...

Have an I7 980X with a 7870 running 12 HCC1s without a problem. 6 min per. Am going to buy another card today. Wondering if anyone has any experience with running a 7950 (die shrink) with a 7870 on any platform.

I can spare the slight increase in expense for a 7950 but have no system for the 7870 if they can't play together :(

Please help

EDIT: Oopsie... It's Win7 64bit system
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 9, 2012 4:16:24 PM]
[Nov 9, 2012 3:50:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mmstick
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Can a 7950 play with a 7870?

Of course, you can use any two graphics cards, nothing stopping you from that in drivers. I used to have a 7950 and 6850 next to each other. Each gets its own dedicated entry in device manager and BOINC.
[Nov 9, 2012 3:51:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thank you very much mm,
I wish I'd have done the separate thread thing a day or so ago :(
I am new to the whole AMD thing, so will I need any changes for this situation in app_info files?
EDIT: all my rigs are dedicated for science so need a system that can port elsewhere if WCG GPU efforts do not renew ;)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 9, 2012 4:18:56 PM]
[Nov 9, 2012 4:12:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

I am new to the whole AMD thing, so will I need any changes for this situation in app_info files?

No changes will be needed to the app_info for now but you may have to add a line of code to your cc_config.xml in the BOINC folder so it will run both cards.
When the newer version of HCC that is now in beta goes live everyone running an app_info will have to modify it.
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Nov 9, 2012 4:36:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

TY Nano and mm,
Pulled the New Egg trigger on this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414
Hope it does some serious help in the research fight. There's a great support group here so I feel confident that expertise will be there when needed.

FOR THE CURE !

Edit: Just registerred about HCC in Beta.... Xing fingers and toes that it means an extension :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 9, 2012 4:53:41 PM]
[Nov 9, 2012 4:47:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread