Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 531 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
OldChap
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
projected runtime

The stickied thread says max runtime = 18 hours

The runtime for a wu as calculated on a couple of rigs here is > 1 day and rising

The actual average runtime on the above rigs is around 9 hours

I guesstimate that the maximum loadout is around 5 or 7 days at best but:

No tasks sent

Tasks won't finish in time: BOINC runs 100.0% of the time; computation is enabled 100.0% of that

Whereas I run into the maximum number of wu's issued limit on other projects with a quicker runtime, here The runtime calculation is nowhere near.

Can we really not do better than that ??
----------------------------------------

[Nov 2, 2014 5:41:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Yarensc
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: projected runtime

There are two problems, the first is that BOINC isn't designed for a project like WCG with more than one sub project, so that messes with the normal estimation measures (I believe the WCG tech's have the main estimation measure turned off)

The second problem is that CEP has a wide variety of runtimes, and the estimation takes a bit to level out when the times change.

The 18 hour limit is saying that when the CPU time gets to 18 hours the work unit will end even if it isn't finished. On the other hand the estimated time is just the scientists trying to pick compounds that won't run for more than 18 hours on an average system. The estimated time is what BOINC uses to calculate if you'll be able to finish all the work by the deadline, not the previous run times.
[Nov 5, 2014 5:43:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread