Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 38
Posts: 38   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8173 times and has 37 replies Next Thread
KerSamson
Master Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Raspberry Pi 3 and WCG?

Hi SekeRob,
I agree with you.
The Raspberry Pi community has a "community spirit".
Additionally with the Raspberry Pi 3, we have a really powerful, very affordable and easy to deploy platform (finally more open and more flexible than stick computer).
Cheers,
Yves
---
PS: No, I am not willing to install Android on a RPi !
----------------------------------------
[May 27, 2016 10:48:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KerSamson
Master Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

Dear WCG Technical staff,
you have to think about the possible large impact of Raspberry Pi in the schools and for pupils willing to do a little bit more in sciences.
Yves
[May 27, 2016 10:50:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
doutz
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I so very vaguely remember one of the techs said something on the matter, and indeed (A private comment): https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewpostinthread?post=373020

Interesting thread, thanks for digging that one out.
The reservations re hardware, performance, up-time and so on that are aired in the thread may have been valid back in 2006, but now a decade later and with Raspberry Pi 3 hardware I do not see any of the concerns aired back then as being that relevant any more (well, certainly not "blocker" reasons for not doing WCG on Raspberry Pi 3).

So: how to get OET and/or Zika to produce a build for Raspberry Pi 3? There seems to be enough interest out there...
[May 29, 2016 7:54:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
doutz
Cruncher
Project Badges:

think about the possible large impact of Raspberry Pi in the schools and for pupils willing to do a little bit more in sciences.

Love that idea! Not only do they get into the whole Raspberry Pi / IT thing, but they can also get into computational chemistry, molecular dynamics, applied physics, etc. The more I think about this, the more I see it being a real game-changer in education (not just in schools, but also e.g. adult/further education colleges, etc - this could really take off!)
[May 29, 2016 7:59:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vlado101
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

I am actually also very interested in buying pi 3 and just setting it to run on some of the other projects. Hopefully the more people are interested the more powerful versions will come out.

Also there was the opportunity of creating a Pi cluster and having at least 3 working together. If you google it some of them have some pretty cool.

http://lifehacker.com/link-multiple-raspberry...a-souped-up-di-1761556292

Has anyone attempted this? I think even if you spend about 300$ to get a couple of those boards the performance will still not be as good as a PC, but I am sure the electricity cost will be much less.

[May 31, 2016 1:29:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vlado101
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Just wanted to update the people that are on this thread. After getting my raspberry pi 3 and getting it updated it works really well. There was a project that is currently supported by it which is Universe@home. So far I had 79 tasks that were successfull (albeit it took 20 to 18 hours for each task).

Hopefully WCG will be able to configure their infastructure to support this as I would set up a small far to continuosly run all of their tasks :)

[Jun 30, 2016 7:34:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
doutz
Cruncher
Project Badges:

There was a project that is currently supported by it which is Universe@home

There still is ;-)
In fact, there are several projects - as other posts in e.g. this thread mention - that run on Raspberry Pi, just none of them from WCG...
You may find this of interest if you didn't already know of it: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Project_list .
I'm running Einstein@Home and Universe@Home right now and am generating approx 30k credits per month with one Raspberry Pi 3.
[Jul 1, 2016 7:28:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

You can browse the [endorsed] project list on a PC in BOINC Manager, add project view, which then shows icons for the platforms supported... skim through them and if it has, yes, a raspberry icon, it has [could have] a science app for it. Oddly, universe ATM is not showing that icon [contact the Berkeley forum if you want to get it corrected]. Asteroids and NFS has one it appears.
[Jul 1, 2016 7:48:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Since there is such a community spirit, is this project on GitHub? If it is, someone in the community could fork it and make an ARM version. I suppose the projects would need to be up there, too?
[Jul 15, 2016 5:03:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
doutz
Cruncher
Project Badges:

is this project on GitHub?

I already offered to cross-compile ( http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewpostinthread?post=522392 ) but WCG projects are closed-source - so no, it won't be on github (or any other open-source repo for that matter).
[Jul 15, 2016 5:29:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 38   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread