Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 38
Posts: 38   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8172 times and has 37 replies Next Thread
SekeRob
Master Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Raspberry Pi 3 and WCG?

Until WCG determines RP3 is a viable platform to support, Canonical (Ubuntu) and Western Digital teamed up for a LAN NextCloud Box, into which a Pi3 must be slotted to get it to work... over there 120 USD for the parts, over here, not in my lifetime will shops offer this. http://betanews.com/2016/09/16/canonical-west...xtcloud-box-raspberry-pi/ . Pity it's 'only' 1TB, for it would plug well into my modem/router USB port.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SekeRob* at Sep 18, 2016 12:06:30 PM]
[Sep 18, 2016 12:05:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ilker Temir
Cruncher
Project Badges:

A late comer here but I also wanted to throw in my two cents. I have been running WCG on my x86 based servers for more than 6 years now. And I have more and more Raspberry Pi 3s running 24/7. I'd be great if WCG could support them. They may not be the most powerful units out there (although Pi3 is pretty decent for what it is) but the sheer number of units that may participate in WCG can make it a valuable addition
[Jan 12, 2017 5:06:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
aaabaaab
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hi,

I've managed to install Android 7.0 on RP3 using the link found here: http://geektillithertz.com/wordpress/index.ph.../android7-raspberry-pi-3/

Wasn't able to install google store so instead just downloaded boinc apk and installed it on the RP3. Currently it's running 'Smash Childhood Cancer' tasks on 3 cores. Configuring the 4th core will make it freeze.

Each task take +/- 7h to complete.

Only the passive coolers are installed, will retest with all 4 cores once I'll receive a fan that I ordered.

Other problems:
- wifi has to be manually connected after boot/after a disconnect.
- no VNC solution for the moment

[Feb 14, 2017 12:14:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enels
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Seems like a lot of work. Why not buy an Android tablet without a fan?
[Feb 14, 2017 8:14:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
doutz
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I'd agree that it does seem like a lot of work - a lot more work perhaps than simply cross-compiling for the Raspberry PI 3 in the first place.

Clearly there is a fair amount of support and enthusiasm amongst the World Community for Raspberry PI 3 work units, just seemingly little to no support or enthusiasm from the World Community Grid.
[Feb 18, 2017 12:55:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GooberTron
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I've also been able to get a pi 3 to work using AndroidRT 7.1 that allows BOINC and WCG projects to run. It is a lot of work and you have to run a script over ADB to get the Google Play installed to then get BOINC. mine as well just buy android phone is exactly right but it was a good experiment.

Also the return on investment is low as it seems a lot of the processing is spent trying to run AndroidRT in the first place.

WCG should support pi 3's as they can be very easily clustered and there is much community around this sort of thing.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by GooberTron at Jun 21, 2017 3:37:07 AM]
[Jun 20, 2017 10:10:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vlado101
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Just wanted to bring up this thread. It might not make a difference, but we should that there is a dedicated PI community at WCG and that adding PIs to the mix would improve computing time. I have 3 (PI version 3) of them crunching and have already donated over 700,000 boinc credits to a project that uses them. WCG please reconsider your stance on PIs.

[Jun 22, 2017 10:15:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KerSamson
Master Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

I cannot do more agree!
Please support WCG sciences on Raspbian (RPi 2 & 3)!
Yves
[Jun 23, 2017 8:18:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Glen David Short
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

and now there is even more powerful Raspberry Pi4...

[Aug 4, 2019 4:44:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sinirlan
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Yea I would love to use Pi4 for WCG. Maybe someday...
[Nov 29, 2019 9:33:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 38   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread