Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 511
Posts: 511   Pages: 52   [ Previous Page | 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 119553 times and has 510 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: OpenPandemics GPU Beta Test - March 26 2021 [ Issues Thread ]

When I last used Windows (many years ago), I would go through and turn all that stuff off but an update would come along and turn it all back on again. I didn't want the headache of constantly checking the settings...
[Apr 3, 2021 9:56:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

Here is why I will never ever use Win10.

Sure. Everyone uses O&O Shutup.
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

That's an interesting tool. I'll have to play with it. Still won't get me to use Win10. cool
----------------------------------------
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Apr 3, 2021 10:53:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

To bring the thread back on topic. Has anyone had a play with tasks in regards to checkpoints, do they play nicely?

Edit = correct spelling mistake

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Speedy51 at Apr 4, 2021 2:14:49 AM]
[Apr 4, 2021 12:17:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

To bring the threaded back on topic. Has anyone had a play with tasks in regards to checkpoints, do they play nicely?

IIRC they complete too fast for checkpoints.
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Apr 4, 2021 1:39:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

To bring the threaded back on topic. Has anyone had a play with tasks in regards to checkpoints, do they play nicely?

IIRC they complete too fast for checkpoints.

Thank you

[Apr 4, 2021 2:15:45 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Little doubt there are 'checkpoints' between the packed jobs, but what a waste of time it would be to write them out to disk. Too costly in time, too costly in management. Presume if a task is interrupted, it unloads as GPGPU jobs do, and when resumed it starts from scratch again. Not recollecting a comment on that.
[Apr 4, 2021 8:51:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Vester
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

The validator ran this morning.
Result Name Device Name Status Sent Time Time Due /
Return Time CPU Time / Elapsed Time (hours) Claimed/ Granted BOINC Credit
BETA_OPNG_0030002_00371_2 1HD7790 Valid 4/4/21 01:57:47 4/4/21 02:23:14 0.07 / 0.42 0.5 / 1,024.6

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Vester at Apr 4, 2021 9:44:08 AM]
[Apr 4, 2021 9:40:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Richard Haselgrove
Senior Cruncher
United Kingdom
Project Badges:

I think the app does checkpoint between each Autodock component. On a fast discrete GPU (NVidia or AMD), that's barely worth it. But on an Intel iGPU, a full Beta run takes up to 40 minutes, and may last longer if more complex molecules are studied after the final application is released from Beta.

If people are worried about additional disk writes on a SSD (for example), they can extend BOINC's interval between checkpoints to longer than the typical runtime on their specific GPU. Having said that, I think the largest disk writes are:
1) The initial unpacking of the task data before the run fully starts
2) Adding result data to the output files for return to WCG
Suppressing checkpoints isn't going to make much difference to either of those essential procedures.
[Apr 4, 2021 9:42:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ca05065
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

During the Feb 18th beta test on my Ryzen 5 3600 and GT1030 PC i wrote:
I also attempted a pseudo restart by setting LAIM off; suspending the work unit allowing another to start; resuming the work unit. They both appeared to complete normally but are still in pending valuation. One odd thing I noticed for the restart on job 61 of 61, is that I suspended the work unit with CPU used of 18min 03sec but results status shows 0.6 hours or 36min . I did not see it running after the restart as it was so quick. The results status file shows it did restart in job 61.
[Apr 4, 2021 11:08:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
floyd
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I wonder why, after 100 pages of comments, I don't remember reading anything on hardware requirements. The closest I noticed was the effort put into excluding systems without OpenCL 1.2 support. As a result people have a tendency to point in that direction whenever an error occurs. But is it really a hard requirement or rather some arbitrary restriction? Have the reasons for failures been determined or is the OpenCL version just the easiest excuse? The reason I'm asking is I'm still looking for a way to contribute but the best I could come up with are some retired 1GB GPUs. Retired because they're insufficient for most other projects. How about here, is 1GB enough? Low end GPUs have been reported to fail a lot but I don't remember that anybody has suggested lack of memory as a possible cause, nor posted observations on that subject. Before the app goes into regular production I'd really like to see a definitive list of requirements, if possible with reasons for exclusions. Or does anyone remember seeing something like that already?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by floyd at Apr 4, 2021 12:16:37 PM]
[Apr 4, 2021 12:11:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 511   Pages: 52   [ Previous Page | 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread